PDA

View Full Version : Bose sound system draining battery!

jonbaker
03-01-2008, 10:07 AM
My battery kept on dying after a week or so. The weather had been very cold and i'd been doing short journeys with heaters blasting and lights on etc but even so, it happened twice in a month. The second time i called out the RAC and he tested the battery and it came back good.

He tested the radio to see if it was taking more power than it should and he said it was. Only a small amount but enough to drain it over time. Anyway, i have been taking the fuse out for the radio and the problem hasn't come back.

Bit of a pain to keep putting the fuse in just to have the radio on but after just fitting a new clutch and four new tyres i'm not exactly rolling in money to have it repaired.

Any ideas for a quick fix!!!!??

a4 2001 y 1.8t quattro

mellie
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
When you turn engine off and take the key out does the radio back lights stay on? I had that happen to me. So I unplugged the battery, left it off for a min or so then put it back on and the back light stayed off.

jonbaker
08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
When you turn engine off and take the key out does the radio back lights stay on? I had that happen to me. So I unplugged the battery, left it off for a min or so then put it back on and the back light stayed off.

no, all lights go off. Damn thing! i'm frightened to put the fuse back in!!! :mad:

mellie
08-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Aside from changing the head unit, which it would seem to be. (Unless the wires from the fuse to the head units are breaking down, which is unlikely) I can't think of anything else you can do.

jonbaker
08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Aside from changing the head unit, which it would seem to be. (Unless the wires from the fuse to the head units are breaking down, which is unlikely) I can't think of anything else you can do.

True! I might stick it back in and see how it goes as i'm getting the bus to the station in the mornings now which will avoid the short journeys and the extreme drain on the bat' with heaters and etc