PDA

View Full Version : Alarm not sounding

jonbaker
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
A4 2001 Y (new shape) 1.8t quattro.

Sometimes when we pull up on our drive my son is sound asleep in the back so we let him sleep. We can see the car from our front room window. When he wakes up and moves about the alarm used to go off. This still happens as the lights flash but there is no siren.

Something simple or big £!?

Thanks

paul b
03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Could be a faulty horn, I suppose.
Paul

nickynibbles
03-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Not being funny but given a certain young girls abduction from Portugal last year im surprised your leaving your son alone in your car on the driveway, even if you can see it from the house!!!!!!!!! Not to mention that the car will be getting cold without the engine & heating running!! Not telling you how to raise your son but i'd stop doing that if i were you!

As for the alarm problem, its been noted a few times before regarding siren failures, thankfully not a difficult or expensive repair if its just the siren unit at fault. Behind the passenger side boot lining you'll find the siren unit. It has a battery back up, so first check the condition of this battery as may be the cause. If the battery is ok then the simple solution is a new siren unit, have heard costs circa £100 for a complete new unit, try vagparts or gsf for example this this.

jonbaker
03-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Not being funny but given a certain young girls abduction from Portugal last year im surprised your leaving your son alone in your car on the driveway, even if you can see it from the house!!!!!!!!! Not to mention that the car will be getting cold without the engine & heating running!! Not telling you how to raise your son but i'd stop doing that if i were you!

As for the alarm problem, its been noted a few times before regarding siren failures, thankfully not a difficult or expensive repair if its just the siren unit at fault. Behind the passenger side boot lining you'll find the siren unit. It has a battery back up, so first check the condition of this battery as may be the cause. If the battery is ok then the simple solution is a new siren unit, have heard costs circa £100 for a complete new unit, try vagparts or gsf for example this this.

Appreciate your concern, but we haven't gone out for a meal! we can actually see him, not just the car, directly outside the window. Will check the siren battery, thanks