PDA

View Full Version : Running problems - help appreciated

blaidd_bach
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi all, am hoping someone can help with a little problem.

For the first year or so my 1999 Toledo 1.8 20 valve sport ran perfectly and even in cold weather the engine ticked over comfortably at around 1000 rpm and 800 rpm in warm weather. Acceleration was very smooth and there was no hesitation at all.

However, for a few months now when starting either first thing in the morning, in the evening or even after being left for a couple of hours the engine ticked over at around 1300 - 1500 rpm and when the throttle was pressed the engine took longer to slow down again.
When the engine is running high driving the car in a car park or slow moving traffic can be difficult as I can't release the clutch fully without the car running forward as the revs increase. :confused:
The engine speed also increases seemingly of it's own accord periodically, again in slow traffic, when I release the accelerator and depress the clutch. It's almost as though it kicks in to prevent a stall with the engine speed increasing from around 1000 to 1500 rpm and dropping slowly.

To date, diagnostic tests have been carried out by both a Seat garage and my usual service garage with only a faulty temperature sensor showing up on the first test. Since then 2 temperature sensors have been fitted, the throttle body has been cleaned out and a new air mass meter has been fitted. But the problem is still there, although not as regularly. :confused:

In recent months the engine has seemed to be running a little less smoothly to the extent that it feels like it is jumping slightly, especially when idling and acceleration is hesitant at low speeds.

The only thing I can seem to think is that it may have something to do with a new cat exhaust section which was fitted around April '07 as the problems seemed to start fairly soon after.
Admittedly it wasn't a Seat exhaust part which was fitted, but surely it can't make this much of a difference? :1zhelp:
The noise through the exhaust is a little louder and different to the previous exhaust (before the cat problem).

Since owning the car I've kept it regularly serviced, the cam belt assembley has been changed (approx 70,000 miles) and it was running perfectly. The body work is great, the interior is in very good condition and it can still be a great car to drive. I really don't want to get rid of it, but neither of the 2 garages I've been to can seem to find an answer and I don't have bottomless pockets! :(

If anyone can shed any light on this or has experienced anything similar, I'd be grateful for any info or pointers.

Many thanks

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not very familiar with the petrol cars (more of a tdi guy)

I was thinking dose your car have a (Idle control valve)?

This causes the revs to fluctuate!

blaidd_bach
06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi,

I think it does, but I've had diagnostics done on the thing 4 times now in the last year. It's a shame as it's a great car otherwise.

Cheers

Ed

Crasher
06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Has it had a code read recently?

blaidd_bach
08-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi

Thanks for replying, but i'm not exactly sure what a code read is.

I've had diagnostics done a number of times now both at a Seat garage and an independant and the only thing which showed up, once, was a temperature sensor which was replaced twice just to be sure. I guess they can run general tests then look into specific areas such as choke etc. I just don't know too much about it really. Is there something specific I should be asking for if a general test doesn't show anythiong too much?

Any ideas are much appreciated

Cheers

Ed

Crasher
09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Diagnostics and a code read is the same thing in that respect. At the last read, were there any codes showing at all?