PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf 1300L

Sam1977
02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
The symptoms:

Losing water
Overheating
Oily air intake "pan" and filter

Action: nothing, just kept it topped up with water everyday and continued to drive

More symptoms:

Enormous cloud of white smoke
Water completely gone
Oil full of water (mayonnaise)
Starts but more smoke than you could ever possibly get away with on the road
When filled with oil and started, gurgles very loudly and oil/water mix pours steadily out of the air intake

Year: circa 1988

Questions:

Oil/water from air intake - how is it possible for oil to come back through the carb when that channel into the engine is under suction the other way?

I have stripped off: manifolds, water hoses, fuel pump, distributor, cam belt. However how do I remove the cam pulley. Don't want to turn the cam but I cannot get the head off with it in place due to plastic back cover?

What sequence do the torx bolts securing head need to be untightened and what is the re-tightening sequence and torque setting?

Other than having the head re-skimmed what other damage am I likely to find in there - I notice that whilst it runs on all 4 still it makes a ticking noise which is fairly audible.

I cannot get access to a Haynes manual here in Spain so I need some advice from you Golf experts! I really like the car and want to save it. Attached is a picture! Await your replies

bishbosh66
05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi, have looked up the tightening sequence for cylinder head bolts (removal sequence reverse), unfortunately drawing not the worlds clearest, but looks like view is from front (ie looking at engine from the front of the car)
Sequence:
1 - Middle front
2 - Middle rear
3 - 1st right from middle front
4 - 1st left from middle rear
5 - 1st left from front middle
6 - 1st right from middle rear
7 - far left front
8 - far right rear
9 - far left front
10 - far left rear
Book mentions that on some later 1.3 models it is necessary to remove crankshaft pulley to remove the lower timing belt cover.
Hope this is of some use.

bishbosh66
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
More info from good book....
"Removal of camshaft sprocket, unscrew bolt, remove spacer. Tap off the sprocket and remove the woodruff key. DO NOT TURN THE CAMSHAFT. The sprocket can be held stationary using a metal bar with two bolts, with one bolt inserted through a sprocket hole and the other bolt resting of the outer rim. The other method is to insert a lever in the starter ring gear (with starter removed)."
Good weekend !

bishbosh66
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Sorry forgot to give you the torque settings (I am new to this forum game, and also new to VW Golfs !)
Cylinder head bolts tightened in three stages
Stage 1 40Nm (30lb/ft)
Stage 2 60Nm (44lb/ft)
Stage 3 Tighten further 1/2 turn
It states that the engine should be cold !!
Timing cover 10Nm (7 lb/ft)
Valve cover same as above
Camshaft sprocket bolt 80Nm (59lb/ft)