PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Km to Miles conversion

jamiefraser
02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

I have imported a 99 Lupo from Belgium, and unfortunately the speedometer only displays km/h. As this car is now in the UK, I was hoping to find out if it was possible to get some sort of converter fitted, or even a [transparent] sticker to place on the plexi glass covering the current speedo.

Answers to the following questions would be appreciated:

Do these types of stickers exist, or can a digital replacement be fitted at a low cost?

or.. does the entire speedo need to be replaced to show both km/h & m/h? If this is possible, how much would it cost?

Thanks folks,

Jamie

Crasher
02-01-2008, 02:44 PM
The only way I know is a new panel at £152+fitting/coding. Even if you get a sticker, it won't alter the odometer and trip which will still be working in KM. In the days when gauge stickers were all the rage, countless numbers of people damaged their gauges fitting them.

jamiefraser
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the response.

150 +vat and fitting is more than I wanted to spend. I was hoping for a cheap solution. I guess I'll just have to do the conversions in my head to avoid getting a speeding ticket.

Thanks again,

Jamie

Crasher
04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
If you register it here, don't you have to convert it?

jamiefraser
04-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I won't be registering it here. I can keep it in the UK and drive it for 6 months in 12, then send back. This car is only a temporary solution until I save enough money to buy one here. My parents will continue to pay the insurance and tax in Belgium (EU). The DVLA have told me that I am able to [legally] drive it here without registering it provided all tax/insurance is maintained in Brussels, and the car is not in the UK for longer than a 12-month period. Hopefully by that time I'll be in a position to buy my own, and send this one back.

The only reason I wanted a "sticker" is to avoid having to do calculations whilst driving to stay within the speed limit of the road I'm on.

donis
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I also had a similair problem, as for the speedo a garage worker placed a plate with km/h and callibrated the arrows (dont know how).

As for the digital odometer readings, i tried to do it myself, successfully (i was converting from miles to kilometers).

I loaded the eeprom dump from the dashboard that was counting kilometers into mine that had miles.

This can be done easier i think with VAG interface by changing locality or something like that (e.g. from EUROPE to US).

Crasher
06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
You can use a program/cable called VAG TAHO for that.