PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Needs Help

Simon.Barrand
09-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello All,

Just found the site and it looks great. I have got a W reg gt tdi 115. Had it for about 3 years, and can't speak highly enough of the car, it is great, economy and decent power!!!

Recently though I have had a problem with the coolant being rapidly used whenever I do over 40 miles. I am constantly topping the level up. I have had it pressure tested at my local garage, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. However I am still concerned as it is still doing it. Can anyone help??????

Thanks in advance

Simon

adamss24
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Can you see any crusty red deposits inside the engine bay around the radiator/coolanthoses, also look on the insideof oil cap for mayonaise like(sign that oil mixes with water) or look with the engine running for black sludgy water comming out of the exhaust, all pointing towards a blown head gasket. Also is your car a manual or an automatic ? IF ITS A AUTO GET IT CHECKED IMEDIATELLY AT A DEALER BECAUSE OF SO CALLED COOLANT MIGRATION. SEALS FAIL INSIDE THE GEARBOX AND COOLANT MIXES FITH ATF =EXPENSIVE GEARBOX REPLACEMENT. Also check passenger side carpet ifits wet as its quite common for the heating system to leak. Keep us informed if you get to the bottom of the problem and also the solution/fix of the problem.Also check the oil level. Good luck.

Simon.Barrand
10-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the reply

Yeah checked the hoses, exhaust, carpet and oil, and it all looks fine. Its a manual so that should be ok. Even the guys at the garage didn't know what was wrong!!!

adamss24
10-10-2006, 07:22 PM
You may have a blown gasket and the coolant goes trough the exhaust. Also does your temp gauge rise verry high? Have someone rev the engine while you look at the exhaust. Also replace the coolant cap because when the valve fails and pressure builds up it will only escape as fine mist.