PDA

View Full Version : Heater blower problem

knight A4
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with the heater. It only works on setting 4. 1,2,3 has no effect.

I did have a problem a little while ago with water running down the back of the dash. This was when we had heavy rain. I turned the heating on and the water was pumping though the blower. I managed to clear the hole in the well where the battery is and the heater still worked. but now it only works on setting 4.

I have taken the motor out, it looks fine, but i'm think it maybe the electrical connecter that controls the the motor. Is this a possible problem, if so, how much would it cost to replace?

Any help would be great, thanks

AutoTDI
02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
It might be worth checking the series resistor/thermal fuse unit which is mounted either on the side, or rear, of the blower motor housing, depending on model. It looks as if you have to drill out the securing studs and then replace with self-tapping screws (Haynes manual). It doesn't look like an expensive component to make - but selling price, who knows?

knight A4
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I did manage to get the resistor out. Very easy job. I have a 95 1.8 A4. I have found one on ebay for £15 secound hand. I think I will be getting that, as I have heard they are around £90 brand new. Bit of a joke really, considering its just a bunch of resistors.

Thanks for your help. I'm glad I have found this forum. :D

AutoTDI
02-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Before buying a replacement part, I suggest you first check the suspect part with a test meter just in case its something else. Also, there's a risk that the secondhand part may be faulty so you should also test that before installation. I've no idea what the resistor values should be, other than I would expect them to be fairly low, but a simple continuity test should tell you something.