PDA

View Full Version : reprogramming key fobs

archy
09-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Bought a sharan n reg this weekend but had to put some new batteries in the key fob for the remote.Can anyone tell me how to reprogramme the key fob. Thanks:1zhelp:

greas-E-monkey
11-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Coding is very difficult and involves a long winded process of unlocking and locking whilst holding buttons etc.
Best to bring it to a main dealer and let them have the hassle.

I might be able to get the instructions for a small fee!

I would have to pester a friend.;)

adamss24
11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Are they the infrared type ? If they are, just lock the door with the key then withdraw the key from the lock and press the unlock button as quick as you can. Repeat if not succesfull. That should syncronize the key's fob with the central locking. Also make shure the baterries are inserted the right way and they are new...Usually the same aplies with the RC fobs. Hope this helps. If you have a owner manual from your particular model look for the programing the key fobs after battery replacement.

davie1701
28-03-2007, 08:20 PM
m8 but ive been trying this for 1 hour :zx11: with no results any other thoughts would be greatfull

davie1701
28-03-2007, 08:23 PM
greas-E-monkey (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=2801) how much is a small fee?????????????? ( every one wants cash ) no 1 just wants to help any more

1truegeordie
02-04-2007, 09:09 AM
insert key into drivers doorand turn to the unlock position 3 times in succession for at least0.5 seconds each time and within 5 seconds.

the system shouldnow enter programming mode and the led in the door shouldstay lit for the next 15 seconds.the 1st key must be programmed within this time.

aim the first key at the infra red receiver

press one(either) of the buttons on the key and keep it pressed while simultaneosly pressing the second button 3 times.Release both buttons.

the remote control key should acknowledge as successful transmittal by the key led flashing five times.The system should similarly acknowledge by the led flashing 6 times

NOTE
programming of the 1st key must be completed within 15 seconds from the start of the led illuminating continuously.the second or any subsequent keys should be programmed within 15 seconds of the flashing acknowledgement

HOPE TH IS HELPS GOOD LUCK:beerchug:

Loofer
02-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Heres some instructions I got when I bought my Key off eBay. I haven't tried them my self so they can't be verified. I'm assuming the blank key needs to be cut and cded to the transponder first as thats the only way you can get it turn the ignition on.

Key Fob Programming
VW/ Audi/ Seat/ Skoda

Remote Control Programming (1997 ON)
Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave key in the ignition.
2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key
3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn will sound once.
4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.
Note: When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure is exactly the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for different remote.
For example: If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.
5. Switch ignition OFF.
6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.
7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.
8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote control.

Worth a try... hope it helps

davie1701
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
1truegeordie thanks m8 for the help got to the first stage door led stayes on for 15 seconds
But when pressing buttons on the key from there on nothing happens
the key leds flash when pressing them but the remote doors locking or unlocking still won't work
(just in case where is the IR recever):biglaugh: thanks bud......
Davie..............

Patrick Boyle
24-07-2007, 08:11 PM
This is the sequence for programming a Sharan 1995 to July 1997 with infrared remote control:

Ensure all doors and windows on the vehicle are shut.

1). Insert key into driver’s door lock.
2). Turn the key to the unlock position 3 times.
3). Remove the key.

The driver’s door LED will illuminate.
Within 20 seconds:

4). Point the key at the receiver located near the rear view mirror.
5). Press and hold the lock button.
6). Press the unlock button 3 times.
7). Release the lock button.

The driver’s door LED should flash to indicate correct programming.
Repeat 4 to 7 for additional remotes up to a maximum of four.
Wait 15 seconds before trying remote.

chris_reboot
06-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi Patrick (and all)
I have a 98 Sharan which I just got with 1 key.
Swapped batteries as the guy who sold it advised, and cant get RC fob working.
Wasn't working before as I suspected battery was drained.

Now, I've followed Patrick's post, and I get to the point after 7) where I'm waiting to see driver door LED flash, but no joy. :-(

Any ideas?
Thanks, Chris.

Patrick Boyle
06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Chris,

Either your remote or the receiver on the vehicle is at fault.

Pat

chris_reboot
07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks Pat for getting back to me.
Where is the receiver on the car?

Chris

Roo65
29-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks Patrick

Just to let people know this sequence also worked on a 2003 Sharan. Took mine into VW today they wanted £100 to sort the problem, thought I'd check out the forum before I parted with my money. Sure glad I did:beerchug:
Andy

fatheralice
22-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Yay - managed to reprogramme my 2003 Sharran key fob, which the batteries had died in using the info in Patricks post:beerchug:

Note you have to reprogramme ALL keys, even the working ones - In fact, I could only get it to work by reprogramming the working one first, then the second key. Doing it in the other order failed.

Saved me a few bob, so thanks very much:D

v6mikey
07-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Just wanted to share that the info from Patrick worked on my 02 Sharan with flip out key!. :beerchug:

Well chuffed!

rayholt48
09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
1truegeordie you are a super star.

my remotes have not been working for ages main dealer couldnt fix the problem but you have:beerchug::aargh4:.at end of your intruction i locked the car manually then used the remote all works fine. yahoo:D 2005 sharran

cheers ray holt

daidub
15-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi All, I've suffered with the same problem, two keys supplied with my 'Y' reg Sharan, but only one operating the central locking.
This is the method I used and have used on my friends cars.
One thing you must do is carry out the procedure for the 'working' key.Treat it as key 1, then so on to key two....in my case the one that didnt work.
So here goes.....

VW/AUDI/SEAT/SKODA

Remote Control Programming (1997 ON)
Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second
key.

3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn
will sound once.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding
procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.

NOTE : When performing programming on additional remotes the procedure
is the same, except you press the unlock button 2, 3 or 4 times for the
different remote.

For example : If programming 2 remotes press the unlock button twice with
a 1 second interval between each press, repeat for 3 and 4 remotes.

5. Switch Ignition OFF.

6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.

7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.

8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote
control.

Remote Control Erasing (1997 ON)

Procedure
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.

2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second
key.

3. Press the remote control unlock button 5 times in 1 second intervals.
A short horn will sound.

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate memory
erase.

5. Switch ignition OFF, all remotes are now erased.

Patrick Boyle
15-07-2010, 11:09 PM
This website lists key and remote programming instructions for a range of vehicles all free of charge.

http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk