PDA

View Full Version : hot starting problem

grahamtiree
01-01-2008, 11:16 AM
hi my octavia 1.9tdi starts ok from cold every time,run it for 10 mins when try to restart does eventuly with difficulty ,

DERV-NERD
03-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Weak windings in the starter motor can cause this (amongst others)

I bet your car starts first click of the key when cold! Then as soon as you put a bit of heat in the motor it cranks for longer?

A cold engine dosn't hold much compression compared to one that has rings full of warm oil.

I,ve seen a few golfs with the same problem, Each one had a new starter fitted.

Crasher
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
One trick we have now started to use is to recode the ECU to be for a car with automatic transmission. If the car then starts perfectly when hot, recode the ECU back to manual transmission and fit a new starter (VW recon exchange, they have a two year guarantee).

grahamtiree
03-01-2008, 07:32 PM
hi thanks for info think it is starter as it makes a distinct noise when engine is warm thanks graham:beerchug:

noel52
08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi, sorry I'm not in position to help - have my own starting problems (similar) which I would like help with!
2005 Elegance 1.9 Tdi - cold start no problem, but warm starts a nightmare, although to complicate things, warm start possible from time to time. Otherwise car drives perfectly. Have had car back at dealers on two occasions, both times they 'thought' they had problem sorted, but no! Latest faults identified and resolved were automatic glow-time module? (replaced) and dirt in fuel filter (replaced) - all to no avail! Can't help thinking its something electrical. Any ideas?

Crasher
08-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Is this an Octavia 1 or 2? What is the engine code, BKC?

noel52
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for your response Crasher. Its an Octavia A5 1.9 if that's any help. Engine number BKC405593.

Crasher
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
OK, what I call an Octavia 2 or 1Z (look at your chassis number). I work on a lot of BKC engines (I am just doing a timing belt on one in a Touran) and I haven’t experienced an issue like this without it leaving a relevant fault code. Firstly, IF there are no fault codes I would replace the ECU power relay which is in the electronics box under the bonnet at position R4, it has the number 458 printed on top and is part number 1K0 906 381, they cost just under £12 from VW.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/witharrow.jpg