PDA

View Full Version : cold/wet start

allyd75
01-01-2008, 09:59 AM
my car absolutey hates the wet and cold (so do I mind).

I have to pump the accelerator quite a bit and it takes about 10 attempts to get started. when it finaly does it splutters as if there is a fuel starvation (could be the opposite), then runs fine all day.:aargh4:

Can anyone advise me on what to look at or is this a non winner?

ta

GTW
15-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Could be one of many things, but check for spark leaving any of the HT leads due to damp/crap leads.

Have you got good spark at the plugs?

Is your timing correct? Any other misfiring (condensor issues)

As you've pointed out - are you sure you're not flooding it?

All the fun of a Mk1

I changed the plugs, dizzy, rotor and points and mine now starts fine, but I'm sure it's still running rich.

Gaz

Cleef
16-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi,

I've got a '78 1100cc Golf which took an age to start and then spluttered itself to death.

Turned out to be an incorrectly set auto choke. Do you have auto or manual choke?

I took the side off my auto choke and measured the gap between the choke flap and the carb wall using a drill bit as per the instructions in the Haynes manual.

The recommended gap for my car was a 3.2mm drill bit but this was way too small and the car was over choking and sounded like a tractor. So I set it to be about 5-6mm and it ticks over nicely when started.

It does present a problem whilst still cold though as I believe the damp gets in and trusty WD40 used on the coil/leads/plugs/dizzy cap etc will help.

Don't pump the acceleratot though - you will flood it!

Try pushing the accelerator to the floor and holding it there. Turn the key and as soon as the engine starts to kick into life bring the pedal up.

..few things to go on there....