PDA

View Full Version : Heated Washer Jets for Windscreen

Polo Mint
31-12-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a 2004 Polo Twist 1.4 16v which came with heated / electric mirrors, but not heated windscreen washer jets, only available on a 'Winter Pack' I think. Is there any way to retrofit heated washer jets on the polo. I understand the car has a distributed CAN BUS system, would it be necessary to have the car configured to use the extra electrical components, as this would seem to be the case with most CAN systems? Any clues would be appreciated. If there's nothing out there at a resonable cost I might consider creating my own retrofit kit.

Crasher
31-12-2007, 11:42 PM
They are always on with the ignition and directly powered from fuse 19 and not connected to the on board power supply unit so rigging them up should be easy. All the parts are easily available. The jets are available from VW under the part number 6E0 955 986 B and cost £14.23 each and the harness is available form VW under the part number 6Q0 971 204 D for £32.87 although this harness changed during 2003 but as your car is a 2004 you should be OK. The connections should be in the engine bay if I remember correctly and you just need to put a fuse in position 19.

Polo Mint
01-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply, exactly what I was after. I'll obtain items and post how I get on.

gabbyevs
03-01-2008, 10:58 PM
sorry to butt in just wanted to say i have the same car!

Polo Mint
01-02-2008, 03:18 AM
It's taken about 3 weeks for the parts to arrive, had to wait for the wiring harness. Fitted the Harness/water feed item in about 60 mins, taking care when removing the under-bonnet cover to gain the necessary access. Feeding the harness was a little testing at times. Only when I've had the parts ready to fit have I moved the plastic gutter below the windscreen, and found a problem. Where's the electrical connector to power the harness? it can only be within 10cm of the water pipe connection on the near side, but I can't see it. I've left it all installed whilst I locate the outlet plug to connect to the harness socket. Any idea's?? I know I could rig up a supply to do the job, but would like to wire the harness as VW planned it.

Crasher
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
That isn't a harness as such but a single wire. If you want to make it up properly, I can email the diagram which is very simple and you will need VW contact housing 1J0 973 702 or 1J0 973 802 (basically the one of these the harness you have doesn’t have on it already) and the pins to go inside it which are not available from VW but I do keep them. Then you would need some 1.0-mm red and 1.0-mm brown wire. The red runs inside the car to a red six pin connector block under the dash that takes power from fuse 19 (ignition live) and the brown wire runs to an earth point in the engine bay.

darrellr
21-02-2008, 03:38 PM
That isn't a harness as such but a single wire. If you want to make it up properly, I can email the diagram which is very simple and you will need VW contact housing 1J0 973 702 or 1J0 973 802 (basically the one of these the harness you have doesn’t have on it already) and the pins to go inside it which are not available from VW but I do keep them. Then you would need some 1.0-mm red and 1.0-mm brown wire. The red runs inside the car to a red six pin connector block under the dash that takes power from fuse 19 (ignition live) and the brown wire runs to an earth point in the engine bay.

Crasher,

I've just bought the equivalent harness/jets from Seat to retrofit on my MY2006 Seat Leon. Could you help me with an absolute Idiots guide as to what I need to do further to connect this up the fuse box?

Crasher
21-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I can't do you an idiot’s guide as I have never done it myself, it is all theory. The hardest part would be running the power wire into the car and finding the correct output using the wiring diagram.