PDA

View Full Version : VAG-COM help! please!!

kr88
31-12-2007, 06:16 PM
hello all

im new to this forum! i drive a 2003 vw polo 1.4 when i go to the garage they always use vag-com on my car via a serial interface to diagnose my problem and they also charge a whopping £30 so i decided to buy the cable myself and save on the £30!

i purchased a cable off ebay its the famous one with the blue see through dongle with a blue led. Its not an original one.

its called VAG COM USB KKL 409.1 lead

im using vagcom 409.1 the one that came on the disk and the drivers. The problem is not with connecting the lead to the computer but its the problem of the message 'No Response from Controller'

this is the messgae i get when i test the cable in vagcom.

Port status - Ok
Interface - Found!!!
Type; Serial Pass-through
Opto/Iso - No
Ross Tech Design - No

When I try to connect to anything it says in the top left corner;
Int. Addr. 01, Baud 01, ITE 2
wait 2.0 seconds etc etc

It does that for about 4 times then it says 'No responce from...'

cant get my head around it!!! can anybody help me please? ive tried it with the ignition on, engine on, ignition off, etc etc ive even tried to change from COM 1 to COM 2/4 by applying the changes in device manager and vagcom and it says it can connect to the interface every time but when i click on 'engine module' it wont tell me nothing :(

im running it on a laptop with windows xp SP2, also i do have an after market head unit fitted (pioneer) but it was correctly installed by an professional dealer this should not be a problem as the garage can still use vagcom on it even after the head unit change.

happy new year btw

thanks alot :D

STEWY L
31-12-2007, 07:04 PM
think you need to speak to eshrules. there's a thread on here i've been reading
and i think the problem may be the fact that the cable drivers won't self load or something with windows xp. have just read it somewhere on here today, but
it may have been and old thread as i've been all over on here today.
good luck.

kr88
31-12-2007, 08:27 PM
hello mate

thanks for the reply, where can i find eshrules? the interface communicates with the computer but it wont connect to the ECU in the car says the controller blah blah blah, because when i do the COM port test it comes back as interface found.

thanks

STEWY L
31-12-2007, 08:57 PM
hope i've done this right, have a read of this thread.
hope it helps
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21809:confused:

kr88
01-01-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks for that, not sure if its the same problem though!

Arge
23-01-2008, 11:07 PM
i've got exactly the same cable and exactly the same problem. did you find a solution?

Baron_Samedi
24-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Is the car's ignition switched on when you attempt the check?

If not, I think only a few modules react - it's worth trying module 56 (radio) as it will talk to VAG-COM when the ignition is off.

Also, check the device manager in Windows to see which COM PORT is being used.

In my case Vista allocated COM3.

Oh and when I installed VAG-COM I right clicked the properties tab and checked "XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility"

Arge
24-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorted - turned out to be the interface ports allocated by windows and and those set in VAG-COM didnt match. i changed them through device manager and it seems to be working. i put a guide for doing that at the link below if anyone is unsure.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25112

Stue
24-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I have had the same problems with a blue ebay lead
I think it is due to cheap serial port emulators.
I found that i could read some modules (eg radio) but not the useful ones.
Setting the initial baud rate in vag-com to 9600 gave some success.
I also tried a serial lead with a borrowed high quality (£200) usb port converter.
This worked straight away.
I think the ideal answer is a serial lead with a propper serial port, but these are rare on laptops now.

Baron_Samedi
25-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Or, as others including Ross-Tech recommend, avoid using a USB to serial converter.

AutoTDI
25-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I think the ideal answer is a serial lead with a propper serial port, but these are rare on laptops now.
This is what I use - no hassle! I bought an inexpensive used laptop specifically for VAG-COM and for its serial port. The eBay cable seller warned about possible problems in using a USB port.

paulcurran
29-01-2008, 10:38 PM
hi folks

also bought the ebay 409 usb cable activated & registered with ross tech, on my wifes sharan the cable & software work fine however on my audi a3 the only engine option i am getting access to is the fault code 02 section.

when i carry out an auto diagnosis it is bringing up cant synch baud rate fault

any suggestions or tips much appreciated

Paul

Baron_Samedi
30-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Have you got the com port setting in VAG-COM aligned with the com port selected by your computer?

Easy to check, try selecting different com ports in VAG-COM and see if it tests out.

nige123
31-01-2008, 08:25 PM
i too am suffering from the no respnose from controller syndrome. even auto search for a 98 passat tdi returns nothing. interface found but no response from controllers..

plz plz help i dont have much hair left but what i have is rapidly being pulled out.
thanks
nige:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

kr88
31-01-2008, 08:35 PM
80% its a faulty cable. If you can get a positive result in the COM test settings then try another cable.

Stue
01-02-2008, 07:30 PM
The only thing which I found helped with this was setting initial baud to 9600.
I bought another lead from Gendan which works much better but it was much more expensive.

paulcurran
01-02-2008, 11:36 PM
hi stue

thanks for this i actually got this sorted the other night you were spot on with the options start baud rate at 9600 and then save

the thing cranked into life straight away

cheers again

Paul

shergy89
03-03-2008, 01:04 AM
hi sorri i cnt answer u but do u no were the port is on a 52 polo 1.2
thanx