PDA

View Full Version : sports/performance exhaust

JTDI
31-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Is there any point in getting one for a tdi, if so whats the advantages as ive heard it will make it sound like a tractor?

Crasher
31-12-2007, 05:26 PM
It depends on the make and power wise, no point. A back box will give you the look but bear in mind that you may need to cut the rear bumper (you don't say what your car is) and you will notice more black smoke with a straight out pipe as the TDI pipes blow straight down originally which suppresses the visible soot. In fact I think that the DTM style is actually illegal on a Diesel in Europe and most manufacturers won’t even list one for a Diesel. Supersprint doesn’t and I asked them why, they told me it was illegal. Then I noticed the picture in the background of their catalogue (this is going back two or three years) and said “so why is the TDI in the picture fitted with a DTM back box?”, don’t worry, I thought I was being a smart git too!

JTDI
31-12-2007, 05:29 PM
It depends on the make and power wise, no point. A back box will give you the look but bear in mind that you may need to cut the rear bumper (you don't say what your car is) and you will notice more black smoke with a straight out pipe as the TDI pipes blow straight down originally which suppresses the visible soot. In fact I think that the DTM style is actually illegal on a Diesel in Europe and most manufacturers won’t even list one for a Diesel. Supersprint doesn’t and I asked them why, they told me it was illegal. Then I noticed the picture in the background of their catalogue (this is going back two or three years) and said “so why is the TDI in the picture fitted with a DTM back box?”, don’t worry, I thought I was being a smart git too!

I have a golf mk5 tdi, i havent started doing anything to it yet, was thinking about fitting an induction and new exhaust so just trying to get some ideas on what to do and not to do. and then eventually get a remap done

Crasher
31-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Avoid the induction kit, they can upset the MAF and they sound pants on a TDI. Just fit a K&N direct replacement panel filter, a nice back box and re-map or tuning box.

gypseywilson
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi, I run a T4 2.5 Turbo with big injectors etc (160 bhp). I've removed the cat and the huge rear silencer so it just has a small expansion box and lots of straight pipe!!! The noise levels inside are just the same as before and I can hardly tell any difference from outside.The thing to remember for performance is that the less backpressure the better and the turbo takes most of the "bite" out of the exhaust noise so save your cash for better things instead of shiny tailpipes!!!!!!