PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

JTDI
31-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Im looking for a cold air intake for a Golf mk5 TDI, any1 got any recommendations and is it a bad idea as i've heard of water gettin sucked into the engine ect.. Thanks.

mluton
31-12-2007, 04:22 PM
If you went through a deep deep puddle then yes it could suck up the water.

I have been running a Carbonio set on mine for over a year and I love the noise it makes.

As long as you use your common sense when driving through puddles you should be fine.

Not sure of CAI's to suit your engine, but Im sure someone will tell you soon on here.

JTDI
31-12-2007, 04:30 PM
If you went through a deep deep puddle then yes it could suck up the water.

I have been running a Carbonio set on mine for over a year and I love the noise it makes.

As long as you use your common sense when driving through puddles you should be fine.

Not sure of CAI's to suit your engine, but Im sure someone will tell you soon on here.

Thanks but theres 1 problem, i live in scotland and its more or less constantly full of puddles! does the feed have to come from the bottom of the car? is there no where else it can come through?

mluton
31-12-2007, 04:38 PM
What about a normal Induction Kit, it will sit at the top of the engine.

You could then feed a Inlet pipe from the front for the cold air if you wanted to.

Georacer
17-01-2008, 10:31 PM
If you start drilling holes, don't go below 50 cm from road surface.
(Unless you name your car Henry the Hoover ;-)
When you decide to go for the cold air in take, I'd recommend a decent sport filter and clean it every (few) months, you'll catch lots of fly and in autumn leafs.

You'll get cold air and a lovely sound in it but the cost is the cleaning, if it gets to dirty the airmass meter might want to give up.

If this doesn't scare you, join the club!:biglaugh: