PDA

View Full Version : Brake Warning Light

Seat Driver
31-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I drive a 2000 Alhambra S TDI 115. I had to change the rear brake pads a week before Christmas and found that the dealer, who had changed them last had cut the sensor wires to the pad. The warning light did not illuminate immediately after fitting the new pads but did after about 5 days. I assumed that the front pads needed replacing and purchased a set of Padgid branded pads.

The warning light, however, remains 'ON'

Do I need to reset this some way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Seat Driver

Crasher
31-12-2007, 02:24 PM
You have a wiring problem, the light goes out if the circuit is good.

mluton
31-12-2007, 04:30 PM
On the rear pads can you get to the sensor to touch the 2 wires together to make the connection to see if that turns out the Brake warning light.

Also check the front sensor to see if it is connected properly.

Otherwise disconnect all brake warning sensors and you can turn the light off with a VAG COM.

Crasher
31-12-2007, 04:40 PM
You can't turn the light off as such using VAG-COM, you can code it out of the dash functionality by altering the soft coding value (on vehicles built after 06/00) but I presumed he wanted to keep the function.

Seat Driver
31-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Crasher. You say

"You have a wiring problem, the light goes out if the circuit is good"

:confused: Does this mean that the circuit should be a closed circuit? I thought the circuit only became closed when the pads had worn down to the cable ends and the brake disc created the closed circuit. I'm sorry, but this solid state digital stuff always has me confused as to its operation. These systems appear to get more and more complex, or am I missing something. It would not be the first time.

Is it possible to get a circuit diagram of the warning system or does it just connect back to a dreaded black box somewhere.

Anyway a HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and thanks for all the help and advice freely given over the past year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Seat Driver

Crasher
31-12-2007, 09:55 PM
PM me your email and reg.

richkaos
24-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Didnt really get the outcome of this thread, but i have a similair problem
Replaced front discs and pads on my C5 avant with Pagid and now the brake pad warning light appears.
Offside plug went together ok but near side was tough, almost as though the plastic housing from the new pad was too long.
I checked connectors and they were all straight and nothing corroded, do you rekon this is a dodgy set of pads.
The ironic thing is that the hardest part of the job was reconnecting these blooming pad sensors TYPICAL
Any suggestions would be welcome