PDA

View Full Version : anybody on vw new 3 year service offer

barrycollins
31-12-2007, 12:37 PM
hi folks...
I am taking delivery of my new Golf Estate SE 2.0 TDI DSG next week, and I am wondering if anyone knows about this £200 for 3 years service offer???...are there any catches, because as they say, 'if its too good to be true, it probably is!'
cheers barryc

sayloday
09-01-2008, 12:43 AM
If it was availabe when I got my Touran Sept 07, I would have taken it up straight away.
Sounds like you have to be on time and distance servicing rather than Longlife.
For a golf estate it includes:

12 months/10,000 miles - Oil Service
24 months/20,000 miles - Interval Service (including oil change)
36 months/30,000 miles - Inspection Service (including oil change) and brake fluid change

Additional maintence items you will have to pay for unless covered under warranty.

IMO its a good offer.

Dave

barrycollins
09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
thanks Dave...
I have a month to take VW up on the offer, so I had better get my skates on, altho whether dealers other than the supplying dealer would be keen, is another matter...
I am quite happy to go on to time and distance, as oil/filter is vital for diesel isnt it......
what the brochure doesnt say, is whether 507.00 is included in that costing??
another disturbing "problem", is the discomfort of the leather sports seats...I had them on my last Estate, and they were great, but on the new car, the padding on the base is minimal, and it feels like you are sitting on a crease in your trousers....
what can I do about THAT!!!

problems!!!

barry c.

sayloday
09-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Barry

What is the 507.00?
I thought the 3 year service offer is £200, transferable to new owner if car is sold on, so I would have thought you could use any participating VW garage for the servicing - best double check with your dealer though.
Each of the 3 services includes an engine oil and oil filter change unless its a V6 engine.
Regarding the crease in your trousers is the passenger seat just as bad? If it is the same no idea if the dealer would look for a solution, maybe check another car with the same seats.

Regards

Dave

barrycollins
09-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Dave..
507.00 is the new diesel specific oil for cars with a particulate filter...if you dont use it you clog your filter, not that I wanted a filter in the first place, but I had no choice...
...so as it is an expensive oil, I was wondering if VW would want to change it 3 times for £200, not that any of the "services" involve much more than a oil and filter change mind you...
main dealer prices would very much please a private Harley St W1 consultant!!!

cheers mate....barry

sayloday
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Barry

Sorry my head was not fixed on today, just checked the specs for engine oil, all the current VW diesel engines, require 507.00, so VW should use it for the service.

You have to remember that we the consumer pay over the odds for everything. For example, Mobil 1 engine oil at Costco is at least a third cheaper than at Halfords.
Costco do not sell a lot of engine oil, but still make a profit on what they sell.
If you imagine the quantity of engine oil that a VW Service Department purchases, they will be getting the engine oil at a very low price compared to how much we would pay as a consumer.

More and more manufacturers are going to offer 3 year service plans at a low price. I think that Mini started it with their 3 year TLC service package, at about £125 or £150 when the new Mini first came out. BMW also offer various Service and Maintenace Plans.

I don't think their is anything to worry about.

Regards

Dave

Trikster
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Just paid the £200 for this on the Gti I picked up yesterday... made sense for me as my servicinfg will be on time/mileage rather than long life. Was impressed that the £200 also includes the brake fluid change too... something that historically has been over and above the std servicing

barrycollins
10-01-2008, 05:07 PM
you are lucky Trickster, as I have been trying to register my Golf Estate for 2 days now, and umpteen hours sitting on the phone to VW Southgate...either the phone goes dead after 10 minutes or the promised return call never eventuates...hopeless..
one wonders how dealers make a living, and also makes me wonder why I didnt buy a Skoda and get decent service...
cheers barry