PDA

View Full Version : Personalised/ cherished plates

Astaroth
31-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes, expensive luxury, plain silliness or a bit of harmless fun but irrespective on personal opinion on them I am a little confused over pricing.

Looking around a few sites the DVLA's own site is by far the cheapest place to purchase an unregistered plate... whilst some may say this isnt surprising if any "manufacturer" routinely under cut its retailers prices with its direct sales (eg sony, apple, panasonic etc) then there wouldnt be many resellers willing to put up with it.

Am I missing something or is it simply cheapest to buy direct?

RickT
31-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I got mine direct and found it to me cheaper.

I am led to believe that the plates still have to me purchased from the broker at the same price price you or me would pay, then the broker has to add there mark up..

The Brokers game really is to buy plates from owners and resale making their profit that way rather then on un-registered stuff.

Rick

DaveNN
31-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, expensive luxury, plain silliness or a bit of harmless fun but irrespective on personal opinion on them I am a little confused over pricing.

Looking around a few sites the DVLA's own site is by far the cheapest place to purchase an unregistered plate... whilst some may say this isnt surprising if any "manufacturer" routinely under cut its retailers prices with its direct sales (eg sony, apple, panasonic etc) then there wouldnt be many resellers willing to put up with it.

Am I missing something or is it simply cheapest to buy direct?

I've asked the dealer for KN08 HED for the new car....let's see how sharp he is!!:biglaugh:

k9max
01-01-2008, 08:48 AM
There is no doubt, personalised plates are an expensive luxury and I don't think there's a cheap way of buying them, it's big business these days, not just with the plates themselves but the reg and tranfer fees. However, I bought my plates 3 years ago and now they are worth over £300 more, so they are definitely an investment.