PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Coyote
30-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi guys, just registered and thought it polite to say hello.
Used to own an Audi 80 2L but it monumentally failed an MOT and had to go.
Hopefully tomorrow (Monday) I will be the proud owner of an A4 2.6.
We'll see how it goes and I will let you know (hope so, car looks sweet).
Anyway........Hi and happy new year :beerchug:

Coyote
30-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh just to be cheeky,
Does anyone know the timing belt renewal interval for the A4 2.6 pls?
The one I am thinking of buying has done 38000miles since it was done!

bennu500x
30-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Hello, I saw on another site that the timing interval appears to be 90,000 miles for the timing belt.

Coyote
30-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Ok thats cool, thanks, should be ok then with a bit of luck

jonnycooper
30-12-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Coyote.

Just checked on Autodata & it says Audi recommend the belt be "checked" every 60000km or 37282 miles but have not specified a replacement interval.

That is for the 1995-2001 2.4 with engine code ABC.

It also states that this engine has been classifies as an "Interference" engine which means piston & valve contact is most likely so take care.

It gives 2.20 hrs for replacement so you know roughly what the labour should be if you have it done at a garage.

A genuine kit for my old 1.8T was best part of a hundred quid on its own & came with a newer type of tensioner new & pulleys which makes it a bit more expensive but I've seen new belts fall off when old pulleys or the tensioner decide to fall to bits.

Just a bit more for you to think about when buying a motor is stressful enough as it is!

Hope it helps.

Jonny. :beerchug:

Coyote
30-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Ok thanks, hmm, stress is right, trying to avoid going down the BMW route if pos and I like the look of this car so thats made it interesting.
The belt was changed at 79,000 and its now done 118,000, so thats cutting it fine eh:confused:

jonnycooper
30-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Difficult to know what to do as used cars are such an unknown quantity & so many factors affect how the belt wears (frequent stop-starts can cause them to wear quicker than an engine that sits at 3000rpm on the motorway all day.)

If you can haggle a few hundred quid off the price to get it sorted I would cos its a horrible feeling when the red lights come on & however hard you press the loud pedal you ain't going anywhere.

I always change them solely for peace of mind.

My bro bought a low mileage Vectra with receipts for loads of servicing inc. new belt but one of the plastic... yes plastic idler pulleys that hadn't been changed fell apart & lightened the old wallet to the tune of 1400 quid with all the headwork, valves, gaskets, belt kit & labour!

Leave it with you! :D

Coyote
30-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Er ok thanks:(

golf tdi 02
31-12-2007, 12:53 PM
hello and welcome to the site

:beerchug::beerchug:

Coyote
31-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Well went and saw the car today.........
Apart from;
Both rear tyres illegal, broken headlight, lecky sunroof playing up, paint peeling off the rear spoiler, same on front of bodykit and someone had keyed it all the way down the side and bonnet (none of which was mentioned on the ad or the phone).
Apart from that it woulda been fine:aargh4:

Oh well, keep lookin I spose, All the way to the east end for nothing.
Wish these people would be honest about these things. Did knock him down nearly £500 but in the end the missus wasnt having any of it and said she hated it:zx11: