PDA

View Full Version : a4 140 tdi multitronic bad fuel economy

ptflooring
30-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi all,
I have a 3 month old A4 avant 140 tdi with multitronic and the fuel economy round town etc is appalling. Don't drive hard or have in sport mode, but my last fuel stop worked out to around 22 mpg, I think something is wrong.
I have just got back from a long 550 mile round trip, all motorway and did it on one tank, which I think is good. Before this I had the same car in a manual, again from new, and that was fantastic mpg. I am now spending more on fuel than I did when I had 2 lt kompressor merc . I will be calling audi to book in for a check, anyone else had a similar problem.
basically long motorway run very good, round town very poor.
Thanks Paul

RickT
30-12-2007, 11:34 AM
The 22MPG around town does not sound right as you say, unless its been drivien really hard..

On the Motorway i weould of thought you would of been able to get around 600-650 from it??

With my 2.0 Petrol i can get 500 miles on a long trip..

Cheers

Rick

mccorrsn
30-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi all,

I bought a new SEAT Alhambra SE 2.0 TDi early Nov, and whilst very pleased with it, I find the economy very dissappointing. Previously I had a VW Sharan 130 TDi from new, which gave 42mpg on average straight from new and was achieving an average of 45.5 when I sold it with 38K. 62mpg was once acheived by keeping to 60mph on a motorway, 48/49mpg on the motorway was normal at 70mph. It twice acheived an average of 43.3mpg on 2.5Kmile round trips in the summer, seven up, 5 adults, towing a half ton trailer, sticking to 75mph when I could.
Even though my driving style has not changed, the Alhambra is only acheiving an average of 35/36mpg, after 2K miles, and on a run no better than lower 40s, when keeping to the limits. Climate control is usually off.

Is this normal on the new 2.0 TDi engine, is it really that much tighter than the 1.9 TDi engine would have been when new, or does something need checking.

Whilst the Sharan had a very progressive accelarator mapping the the Alhambra does seem to initially have quite a lag when the throttle is initially pushed, but then picks up quite aggressively. Is the mapping different!

Regards,
Steve.

McKipper
04-01-2008, 08:19 AM
I have the A4 2.0 TDI (140) Multitronic (20K miles on the clock) and achieve 8.5 to 9.5L /100 Km in town, and 6.5L/100 on the open road (in South Africa). I regularly gett 850 Km (515 m) in town and 1100Km (660 m) on the open road. I do find that not all diesel is created equal, and that my choice of filling station can impact (up to 15%) on my consumption.

prince
13-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Interesteing - McKipper which brands are you getting better economy with? PM me if it is against the rules to list the brand.

STAGMAN
13-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I have the same car as the OP. I get 43mpg on the motorway 70+. The average consumption over 24k miles is 37mpg. I do not use sport much but do not hang about. I thought the consumption was poor when it went in for service around 18k miles. The dealer said there was nothing wrong but the consumption immediately improved! Have you got a DPF on yours/ as I hear they can increase the consumption. Mine hasn't got one, fortunately.