PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 1800 wont restart when warm

z5jke
29-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi,
My 1993 1.8 Golf starts on the button from cold but as she warms up she misfires when I rev her. Then when I have got her warm - say after 15 minutes driving once I stop, I cannot resart her. The engine turns but no firing. Occasionally it appears that I get some action as i turn back to ignition from starting - this is a couple of futs at the most and not enough to start her.

I have changed relay 127 and there is no difference. Once the car has been standing for a while she starts again no problem. Any suggestions please?

29-12-2007, 08:40 PM
just a guess but ignition coil breaking down under load only happens when hot eh!! or warm once cold fine, ignition switch operation could be dodgy could be other answer i have bill for £54 for the same problem i was away wife had green flag out.
no expert but happened to mine
somebody else may have a suggestion!!!!
good luck

z5jke
30-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks Sticky. I started the car today and for the first time in months it ran OK and even restarted when hot. I went for a good run (first time in months!!) and it was still OK. I then changed the coil and put some switch cleaner in the ignition switch anyway as I think that you might be right and that it might have just all got a bit damp? There was also a funny damp patch behind the fuse box on the foam tray that I couldn't explain when I changed all the relays yesterday. It dried overnight as I left it dismantled.
Thanks for your suggestions. Any others gratefully received.

jona_20017
15-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Z5jke,
I have an old MkIII Golf ('94 plate) which had a very similar problem. Changed all the obvious, filters, plugs, dizzy cap etc. Even dropped the petrol tank out to check for crap. No fault codes registered and it was in and out of the garage several times.
The thermostat housing cracked on me one night and I had to replace it, the replacement I got from a scrappers for 10 quid contained a sensor (assume it is for water temp). since then (approx 4 months )
Car has run like a sewing machine