PDA

View Full Version : T5 Transporter Tdi 130 2004 Coolant loss

Golfer7
29-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi, I have a 2004 Transporter T5 Tdi 130 with 65000 miles on it & every couple of days I have to top up the coolant level on it. I have looked for external leaks on the vehicle & none are visible (includes removing undertray & checking from beneath). Checked heater matrix appears dry...
My question is do these vehicles suffer with headgasket problems? :confused:

Any help or advice greatly received, Many thanks.

Diamond Hell
30-12-2007, 01:03 AM
A mate had one on which the head gasket failed, so it's a distinct possibility. Get a garage to do a sniffer test on the header tank - if water's going one way it's likely carbon monoxide is going the other. Have you checked for emulsified oil (custard) under the oil filler?

mickmills
10-06-2008, 09:06 PM
ha dsame prob twice on my t5 was water pump approx £290

Sean_29
31-08-2008, 04:42 PM
As a point to note for future searchers (as this is an old thread) i have a similar problem and think i have the major possible cause for this topic. Although not all VW's will have this problem.

I have a VW Transporter 2.5 TDI and i had my coolant warning light illuminate telling me to view the user manual, or words to that effect.
After stopping immediately and checking for visable leaks, although there was obvious signs of coolant loss, there were no sign of leaks.
However, i was in need of travelling 360 miles and thought just top it up and get it checked when i get home! After several minutes in continuing my journey it appears again, so i stop to check again. more coolant gone only this time i luckily pulled in outside a VW Garage :1zhelp: A mechanic thinks he knows the problem and after removing the oil pump cover there it is, coolant pouring through straight into the sump. The bearing had perished (which is common apparently) and was instead of leaking externally was leaking into the sump comtaminating the oil, leading to white residue, leading to head gasket problems if left unsolved!

Its a very poor design flaw, as this bearing fails its potentially causing £1000's worth of damage in the process. Imagine if unbeknown coolant warning faults are present and you drive without ever knowing this is happening :zx11:.

The moral to this story is simple, general husbandry should be carried out with your pride and joy, check the oil occasionally and periodically check the coolant levels, remove your oil filler cap as this is one of the highest points in the engine and surely enough this is where moisture will show itself (dont just check your dip stick).

Moose man
31-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Hello.
Remove the undertray and then remove the sound insulation from around the sump. You will probably find this is wet/damp. The small pipe you should find to the rear of the sump is the water pump tell tail pipe. The water leaks out of the pump down the tube and is then absorbed by the material. Check the pipe isn't blocked as well, this can result in the coolant going into the engine, as mentioned above.

Sean_29
31-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi Moose Man, thx for the heads up. will bear that in mind for future

Moose man
31-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Just noticed how old the thread was.........:Blush:!!!!!