PDA

View Full Version : oil problem that I shouldn't have ignored

deviruchi
29-12-2007, 05:58 PM
A4 1.8T SE
02 plate

A week ago my oil light came on one morning before work. I checked the dipstick and it was below minimum, so I popped over to my parent's place and put a slosh in. Really I put in very little but it was just to keep it ticking over. The light went off.

Went to York (from Newcastle) yesterday and the oil light came on just before Washington, so I stopped, got some oil and glubbed a bit more in.
Set off again and the oil light was still on, so I just resigned it to being yet another dodgy sensor (my engine coolant sensor is knackered and has been for a while now) and carried on. Checked the dipstick again at scotch corner services and low and behold I’d overfilled on oil. A friend reckoned I’d just burn the oil off out the exhaust and I’d probably have thick smoke out the back – nothing to really worry about.

So I set off. On the way back (about 20 mins from home) I noticed a buzzy noise, but ignored it… When I stopped at the first roundabout in the majority of the journey, accelerating sounded like a ford transit and I realise that I’ve broken something....
Crawled home with conservative acceleration, but now the engine is a LOT louder and sounds like something's really not good. (Seems to go quieter at higher RPM - above 2k)...

What do you think is broken??