PDA

View Full Version : mk3 Golf non gti, can it be turbo'd?

Andrew900
29-12-2007, 05:51 PM
hello, i was just curious as to whether i can turbo my 1.6 engine?

im planning two routes with modifying my car :

1- set about finding a VR6 engine and do a transplant. very very big job as id need all the corresponding running ger i.e gearbox, brakes, fuel systems, ecu and so on

2- just turbo the standard 1.6 8 valve engine. or maybe fit a supercharger.

id prefer option 2, to keep the stock 1.6 and make it light and nippy, rather than adding the extra weight of the VR6 plus running gear.

thanks for your help guys and girls!

(note: this wont be taking place for some time, im just getting a rough idea of the possibilties.)

Nick SR
29-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Just my two penneth,

But VW built both of the cars you would be trying to create as standard therefore why not sell up and buy on of those?

I understand about creatin something unique etc.

Like i said just my take on it really.

Nick

Andrew900
29-12-2007, 10:04 PM
thanks for replying nick,

your absolutely right, its just its hard to come by a VR6 in good condition. if you can find one that isnt ragged rotten then hats off to you!
my plan was to find someone breaking a VR6, and buy the engine and running gear if it was in good working order, then fit it all to mine and sell the old parts. would have been a fun project!

But for safety i think ill just stick with the 1.6.

:biglaugh:

simonjohal
20-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi mate, did you get any luck finding a supercharger for your 1.6? Im in the same situation but i've got a 1.8. I'd rather get a supercharger then go through all the headache of buying a vr6 engine!

if you had any luck please give me details

cheers mate, Simon.

Andrew900
20-02-2008, 08:16 PM
hey, yeah a supercharger or turbo would be easier, but not by much. the engine conversion would probably be cheaper as ive gone round pricing all the kit for fitting a turbo and its come close to £5k after everything, as you would need a new tougher short motor(pistons, con rods, bearing shells ETC), exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler and the plumbing possibly different valves and cam shaft(s) and a remap too. thats just off the top of my head hehe, could be numerous other things to do

thinking of making mine a clompleterly mint show car, seeing as it is a valued anniversary model. :D

ill keep my eye open for turbo'd or supercharged golfs for ya and update this thread, hope this helps :D

kanten
21-07-2008, 08:30 PM
thanks for replying nick,

your absolutely right, its just its hard to come by a VR6 in good condition. if you can find one that isnt ragged rotten then hats off to you!
my plan was to find someone breaking a VR6, and buy the engine and running gear if it was in good working order, then fit it all to mine and sell the old parts. would have been a fun project!

But for safety i think ill just stick with the 1.6.

I managed to find a 1993 Golf VR6 in mint condition (except for the paintjob's a little scratched) that had run 140 000 km (approxamitely 90 000 miles) with one previous owner. Complete service book and everything. The last owner hadn't even converted to a cd player. It was a God damned casette player in the car :biglaugh:

r1mills
26-07-2008, 06:20 PM
would you want to turbo it?

Andrew900
26-07-2008, 08:29 PM
would you want to turbo it?

i have my heart set on a turbo now, but i need to get the funds to make it happen.