PDA

View Full Version : Front Tyre Wear

GaryS
29-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I have a 2004 Golf 2.0 TDI (140ps) which eats front tyres within 10k miles. The tyres are Bridgestone RE050 225/45 x 17 which were replaced last February. I have just had to have two new tyres fitted to the front as the near side was worn down to the limit and the off side down to about 0.5 mm of the limit. Kwikfit checked the tracking and said it was about 1.5 degree out so the adjusted the tracking. As Kwikfit set the tracking up last February I am not convinced they are setting the tracking up correctly, hence 10k out of £260 worth of tyres. Is this normal milage for front tyres or is there something else I should have checked out? By the way the car is only driven at normal road speeds and not hard by any means.
Regards Gary :zx11:

BuyanythingbutaVW
29-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Gary,

I have 16 inch alloys on my 55 plate GT TDI and the original tyres on the front (Continental) lasted upto 23,000 miles. The second set of front tyres (pirelli) where replaced at 47,000 (approx 24,000 miles). The car is currently on 50,000 miles and hopefully the front should need replacing next around 70,000 miles - subject to punctures.

One of the rear tyres was replaced due to a puncture on the side wall, but the other tyre is still the original Continental and has 4mm left on it. Expecting to replace the rear tyres at 60 - 65,000 miles.

If your tyre wear is now relatively even then maybe look at swapping tyre manufacturers as 10,000 miles for a set of tyres is relatively low in my experience. At our company we usually get upto 15,000 miles out of a set of front tyres, but it does depend on the driver.

However my wife has Bridgestone tyres on her car and they seem to wear very little and after three years they are all original.

If you do still want Bridgestone tyres then shop around as Kwik Fit wanted £110 for a replacement tyre on my wifes car due to side wall damage, but a local independent garage fitted and supplied an identical tyre for just under £70.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

GaryS
29-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank's Jamie, I will just have to see how the new Bridgestones wear this time round. I purchased them from Kwitfit yesterday for £100 each which was the best price I could get in my area.
Regards
Gary

Nicks
30-12-2007, 10:03 PM
get the tracking checked by another firm aiiiiiiiiii

C10HOO
01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
ive got a 2.0 gt tdi 170 and had both front tyres replaced last week, the car has done 9000 miles and so have the tyres, now admittedly one of the tyres ahe a screw in the sidewall so it needed replaced but they had both worn down to the limit

JohnWithAGolf
13-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The tyre wear is a bit excessive, I work for a large tyre company who looks after larger fleets of company cars so we see which cars eat tyres and which don't, and the Golfs should be very good on tyres.
The suspension/traction control looks after them and ensures even wear, even when you give it the beans. My 1.9 tdi 105 has done 49k, the fronts lasted 30k+ and the rears are original Contis.
I'm upgrading to a GT TDi 170, it's got 20k on the clock and has original tyres (Pirelli, normally softer than most), and the tyres have even wear straight accross all four.
I'll fit Dunlops (no company preference there...) but if money was no option then Michelin will last and last (will my employment after that blasphemy...?) or Conti if you want something a bit cheaper.

JohnWithAGolf
13-01-2008, 09:16 PM
As for the tracking, 1.5 out is next to nothing, if the front tyres were worn on one side or were "feathered" then tracking would help. If they were evenly worn and you had no handling issures then Kwik-Fit have had you.

Golfergtr
05-04-2008, 06:08 AM
front tires do wear out pretti quickly on the golf !!!!!

Golf Plus
05-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Our Golf Plus diesel sport has now done 42k miles from new on the original Bridgestone tyres. They were swopped around at 25k and I would expect the set to complete at least 50k before needing replacement.

Mainly motorway running - I always get 50K miles out of a set on our cars, which are always diesel. I think the diesel bit helps as I just let the speed build up without thrashing it.

gtr mart
05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I Have a 57 plate 170 gt dpf. I think the tyre wear is surprisingly good. When the car was recently serviced (at 18k) I had the fronts put on the rear so I would aim for all the tyres to be changed at the same time.

I have now done a total of about 21k miles and got a call from ATS who looked at the car and said the rear OS tyre (which was the front NS) was worn between 2 and 3 mm.

To be honest the car gets driven quite hard. That said there is quite a lot of motorway miles which is easier on the tyres.

I would say that somethings wrong if your only gtting 10k milew from a set without driving very hard A / B road miles or driving on a track.

elPaulio
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi Gary,

It all depends how you drive your car as to how long your tyres will last. I have the 140 GT and I went through my first front set within 10,000 miles. My second set of fronts lasted a bit longer but then I had calmed down my right foot for them.
If you constantly give it beans, especially in the wet expect the fronts to suffer! Remember, if the traction control light comes on the front wheels have started spinning, and if you keep the throttle down they will still spin to an extent!!!
You need to make a decision as to whether you want to have uber fun all the time and pay for more tyres or take it easy and save some cash!!

Just my personal observations, but I don't think you can say that Golfs are either very good with tyres or very bad with tyres, it all depends on the driver!!

Paul

Ben
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi Gary,

It all depends how you drive your car as to how long your tyres will last. I have the 140 GT and I went through my first front set within 10,000 miles. My second set of fronts lasted a bit longer but then I had calmed down my right foot for them.
If you constantly give it beans, especially in the wet expect the fronts to suffer! Remember, if the traction control light comes on the front wheels have started spinning, and if you keep the throttle down they will still spin to an extent!!!
You need to make a decision as to whether you want to have uber fun all the time and pay for more tyres or take it easy and save some cash!!

Just my personal observations, but I don't think you can say that Golfs are either very good with tyres or very bad with tyres, it all depends on the driver!!

Paul

I agree 100% with your opinion and also my circumstances are also exactly how you describe.

RichieG
07-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Totally depends on the driver - when I was 17/18 I used to use Goodyear NCT2's (on my Polo Coupe S) which were good tyres in 1994 - but I used to drive like a nutter and if I got 10k out of a pair of fronts I'd be well impressed - used to get more like 7-8k.

Now I do more motorway, and still don't hang about, but I'm just replacing all 4 tyres - on a 35k GT TDI 140 - the rears are original Bridgestones, but the fronts are cheapy HP CLEAR, so I'd suspect that we should be getting 35k out of rears and about 17k on fronts.

vwmatt
10-04-2008, 09:48 PM
If you pay quick fit to do your tracking, you may as well give the money to charity.
You need to get a 4 wheel laser alignment check on your car.
This will check tracking,caster , camber angles toe in / toe out.
It is alot more expensive than tracking, normally around £50-£60.00 .
My garage charges our customers £85.00 to check. and if adjustments are needed, well, our labour rate is £150.00 an hour.
As long as you dont hit the curb, or drive over any pot holes , once adjusted, should be ok.

tosh_gravel
14-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I've done 55k in my golf 140 TDI, replaced the original tyres at 28k with pirellis, there is still 3mm of tread left, i can's say i've ever had an issue wih the tyres.

but try this website

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/home.asp

KeithS
14-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd avoid Kwik Fit like the plague. I asked them for a quote for a Conti sport for my old Passat V6 and they came back with £120. Got the exact same tyre fitted at Bracknell Tyre & Battery for £60.

bosric
27-10-2009, 09:18 PM
What should the tracking be on the front of a Golf? The Haynes manual says Toe = 10'+/- 10' but is that toe-in or out?