PDA

View Full Version : 1989 caddy running problem

badersbus
29-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Everyone.
:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:
New to site today , and i have got a problem. My son has just bought a 1989 1.6 non turbo diesel Caddy . This thing has been apparently run on Veggy oil before , and now does not want to run at all. I have removed the diesel filter , which was gunked up with crud ( diesel was yellow) in side , and fitted a new filter and cleaned out the lines from the filter down to the pump. We have turned over the engine and bled the fuel up to the injectors , but the engine will not run. When the engine fires , it will run for a second or so and then dies.
I am now thinking that there is possibly a diesel pump problem , or perhaps injectors , any ideas guys ????.
For the short time the engine will run , smoke out of the back does seem bluey / grey.
When he got the car originally , it did run but not too well.
I am not a mechanic by trade , bodywork is my stuff , but any help would be appreciated, as this is annoying the hell out of me
Thanks Kirk

Diamond Hell
30-12-2007, 01:00 AM
The veg oil can ruin the seals on the injector pump. Judging by the gunk you're already recovering from elsewhere in the engine it's likely that some of it got to the injector pump, although just running veg oil will toast certain pumps after a while - they're just not designed for it.

badersbus
30-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the response diamond . I have moved on a little from the first post now. I have today took the injector pipes off , and dropped an injector out ( the one farest from the pump). The pipes although did show signs of a bit of crud , they wasn't too bad , the injector was pretty clean also. I then removed the fuel return connector on top of the pump and used a syringe to take some fuel out of the pump body itself. This fuel was very yellow , with crud in it. I reckon it could be an injector pump problem.
The car also has a cold start pull lever on the dash , how is this supposed to operate / starting sequence etc :o
One other thing if you could help , there is a small valve type thing on the end of the pump , it has a flat slot to accept a flat blade screwdriver , with a 13mm lock nut on it ,whats this for.
Would appreciate any help if poss , before the gallon can and lighter come out :zx11:
Thanks Kirk