PDA

View Full Version : Rainwater leak on 80 footwells

MattX
06-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Hello, I'm sure someone out there will be able to help me here 'cos I've had this problem with 2 80's now! Currently I have a '93 TDi Avant 80. When it rains water comes into the car footwells on both sides. It appears right in the outside corner by the doors but when I open the glovebox and reach right up inside I can feel the water dripping down. It drips onto the side air vents but I can't find where it is coming in! Anyone got any idea where it may be able to come in and therefore a solution to my leak!

Matt.

konrad96
11-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I've had a rainwater leak on the driver's side, and narrowed it down to the windscreen seal having shrunk slightly and let water in. A temporary fix can be sorted with waterproof gaffer tape - looks naff but works! I imagine that black silicone sealer would be neater. Another problem spot can be the grommit through which the bonnet release cable passes, beside the fuse box. I would check these two first.

bert
27-10-2006, 08:50 PM
my S2 let the wet in really badly
this was due to the pollen filter being incorrectly fitted,trapping the seal and allowing water to pour in through the heater ducting,and the plastic piece at the front edge of the drivers and passenger door windows requiring adjustment and allowing water to run down the inside of the door and collect in the foot wells

bert
84 ur
93 S2

san
23-11-2006, 02:44 PM
I have the same problem with my coupe (92), leakes into drivers footwell & realr footwell. Strange thig is though, it is more in the middle rather than close to the door !!! anyone got any ideas/suggestions/quick fixes ??:confused:

Boardboy
23-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I would check all the drains for blockages. Sunroof drains and drains in the front scuttle area. make sure there are no leaves in there. Check and make sure all crommets are fitted properly. Aerial for the stero, bonnet pull that sort of thing. Pollen filter housing if you have one.
Good luck and I hope you find it because I really hate water in cars!
Regards Boardboy

san
23-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Ok, thanks - will give it a check at weekend - let you know ??:biglaugh:

bert
23-11-2006, 09:29 PM
when you are ready get in the car and get someone to play the garden hose on it
middle of the roof gives good all round coverage but windscreen usually gets good results too
if its a howler the the car will start filling quite quickly!
good luck

bert