PDA

View Full Version : Power upgrade

steve46
29-12-2007, 02:30 AM
Anyone had a power upgrade. My 06 140 sport has been reprogramed to (rolling road figure) 175BHP. Guess it is really the 170 upgrade, but the pullaway at traffic lights is fantastic. Not had car long but just been in my mates standard 140 & it was like a dog T-rd away from the lights. I didn,t realise what a few more HP would do for the passat. Still nowhere near my 911 but well worth a look at.

Slimbarry
29-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Yep, makes all the difference.

I had my Leon 150 tdi tuned to 190 - took ages to wipe the smile off my face each time I floored it.

I have been thinking of getting my Passat tuned, but was not sure if this is wise with a DSG? Has anyone done it yet? I am worried the clutches wont be man enought...

james_tiger_woo
29-12-2007, 11:23 PM
What does that do to your warranty/insurance as I'd like to do that too...

steve46
30-12-2007, 01:59 AM
If its the 140 you have then you won,t have a problem as they also do it in 170 & i believe nothing else is changed other than the 2 tail pipes stick straight out the back instead of curled down. If it,s already a 170 not sure if they take them any higher. According to rolling road mine,s 175BHP & up from 320nM torque to 380nM pulls like hell from about 1400rpm. The guy aparently had a 4 wheeler caravan & was not happy with towwing ability. After having it reprogrammed he said it was a lot better.

Slimbarry
30-12-2007, 09:06 AM
What does that do to your warranty/insurance as I'd like to do that too...

I went for the Revo tuning which is switchable between stock and performance. I turned it to stock when the car went in to Seat for a service.

As far as imusrance it depends who you are with, some only charge an admin fee or so I heard on other forums.

DSGboy
30-12-2007, 04:10 PM
If its the 140 you have then you won,t have a problem as they also do it in 170 & i believe nothing else is changed other than the 2 tail pipes stick straight out the back instead of curled down.

My understanding was that there were a few differences between the 140 and 170 including notably the piezo fuel injectors for more precise delivery.

petera1979
30-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know a good place in London, herts to get mycar chipped? I want one now.

Also at a cheap price if poss....!

steve46
31-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Not sure about the injectors, wouldn,t have thought anything would be changed other than fueling & upping the boost slightly, I know all the older 1.9s was easy chip upgrade. I used to chip cosworth engines & it was amazing how much you could sqeeze out of the engine with very little effort. Turbo cars always easy. You could up a 204BHP engine to around 275 with just a chip & a higher wastegate actuator. So would,nt think a 30Hp change is much. It must be easy as the guy left a cd in the handbook with origonal mapping to put back to 140. Not asked the insurance yet but on list of to does. Also as far as i have read in workshop manual the 140 & 170 both have piezo injectors. It is standard with the new DOHC 2litre engines

DSGboy
31-12-2007, 01:13 AM
There's a kit available to tune the 170 TDi up to 205ish PS. However I'd have thought the DPF would make it a bit less suitable for remapping than the 140 which doesn't have one as standard.

steve46
31-12-2007, 04:03 AM
Wow i wonder who does that kit. I know that USA does a 2litre VW engine with over 200. I think it is quite different though. It shows it as having 2 injectors per cylinder & i think 1 is direct into cylinder & 1 into the manifold but i could be wrong.

Quatrelle
31-12-2007, 12:10 PM
There's a kit available to tune the 170 TDi up to 205ish PS. However I'd have thought the DPF would make it a bit less suitable for remapping than the 140 which doesn't have one as standard.That set me wondering whether my 140 has a DPF until I remembered it has the 'no biofuels' sticker on the filler flap.

gazza007
31-12-2007, 04:41 PM
That set me wondering whether my 140 has a DPF until I remembered it has the 'no biofuels' sticker on the filler flap.

It says that anyway, for some reason after looking at the manual they don't rec Bio even without DPF.

Don't mean to put a dampner on the thread but
I can't get my head round this mapping business, if it is so straightforward why haven't VW just remapped their PD engines rather than using slightly different injectors & parts each time they have increased the PS output figures.

In the real world it would be great to have more power but how much do you really need on our roads today? What would happen if something failed as a result of a remap, Warranty work could be refused & end up costing you a fortune. More power requires better brakes & suspension.
What would happen if you had an accident, loss adjusters look at everything to try & save the companies money. A few years ago I dinted my door & wing on the gatepost, my fault but they looked at alsorts on the car including tyre treads etc etc.

Personally I think the risks outway the benefits.

Quatrelle
31-12-2007, 05:20 PM
It says that anyway, for some reason after looking at the manual they don't rec Bio even without DPF.
It's confusing - in the French handbook that came with the car, where it gives the specs at the end, it says not to use biofuels only in the specs for cars with DPF. Headache - how else can you tell? Perhaps I should start a separate thread.

As far as chipping is concerned, insurance and warranty would be my main worry (and even more chance of losing your licence).

gazza007
31-12-2007, 05:32 PM
It's confusing - in the French handbook that came with the car, where it gives the specs at the end, it says not to use biofuels only in the specs for cars with DPF. Headache - how else can you tell? Perhaps I should start a separate thread.

If you look at new car engine specs on VW UK it only mentions DPF on 170.

Slimbarry
31-12-2007, 09:33 PM
If you look at new car engine specs on VW UK it only mentions DPF on 170.

I believe VW are concerned about the greater viscosity of bio diesel and the high pressure in the PD injection system....

There has previously been something on the forum about a German company that provides conversion kits to run on the likes of cooking oil which is more viscous than regular diesel.

As far as the tuning goes, VW provide outputs that are compatible with emmissions laws, road tax and insurance etc, not necessarily the maximum possible output of the engine.

In Spain so I am told, Seat dealers sell the tuning upgrades as an option when you buy a new car. Seat in Southend do also! They would hardly be allowed to sell these upgrades if they were detrimental.

I can highly recommend after 3 years and 60k miles on a 1.9 PD 150 tuned to 190 by Revo. As far as brakes and suspension are concerned, I found brake fade before the upgrade - so converted to larger discs as on the powerful petrol model. Suspension was the same as the petrol model.

gazza007
31-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I believe VW are concerned about the greater viscosity of bio diesel and the high pressure in the PD injection system
Well from what I've read VAG are moving away from PD, if it's anything to go by they should be even more powerful.The new TSI petrol engines have remarkable outputs 120Ps from the 1.4 & 160Ps from the 1.8.

In Spain so I am told, Seat dealers sell the tuning upgrades as an option when you buy a new car. Seat in Southend do also! They would hardly be allowed to sell these upgrades if they were detrimental.
Well if it's done by the dealer you have some warranty come-back. I was considering having my sadly missed Alhambra tuned as it was 6 years old & well out of warranty but decided it was time to get the Passat instead.