PDA

View Full Version : Remote central locking sensor

Keith IOW
28-12-2007, 10:17 PM
The remote central locking on my 94 passat TDi estate works fine - or would do if the fob hadn't gotten dropped and lost. The Haynes manual makes no reference that I can find to the location of the remote sensor, so my question is: Where is the sensor and is it possible to easily swap the sensor from a scrap vehicle? I did this before with a Renault 21 where the sensor sat a in a little pod behind the rearview mirror, but I cannot find an obvious location in the Passat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

erico
20-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Now that is an interesting one. I hope you mean a vw stock remote alarm/central locking system. I just perused the Bentley schematic for your car and noticed that the location is not specifically mentioned.

Does your car also have other electrical/electronic devices in the mirror?

The connections (T6h/ 6 T6/1 T6h/3 T6h/4) on the schematic coming from the infrared sensor going to the passenger door central locking system switch are in a connector located inside the rear view mirror assembly.

That would lead me to believe that the sensor is located inside the rear-view mirror assembly. My car is slightly newer than yours and does not have the comfort line goodies.

That does make sense for a good location for close to 360 degrees line-of-sight for the key fob transmitter. You are probably going to have to swap the entire mirror, get the matching key fob from the same donor car and use VAG-COM to adapt the module to your car. Perhaps there is someone here in the forum who has done it before.

Regards,
Eric

Keith IOW
20-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks Eric. Since posting, I've had a look at historical specs for the car and I can find no mention of remote central locking, likewise on used car sites, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. The car does have an aftermarket Bosch alarm system that was triggered by the fob and though my memory tells me that the fob had a VW logo moulded into it I could be mistaken. It makes sense that the sensor is built into the alarm, so I shall try that route.

erico
21-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks Eric. Since posting, I've had a look at historical specs for the car and I can find no mention of remote central locking, likewise on used car sites, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. The car does have an aftermarket Bosch alarm system that was triggered by the fob and though my memory tells me that the fob had a VW logo moulded into it I could be mistaken. It makes sense that the sensor is built into the alarm, so I shall try that route.

You are right. The norm for aftermarket alarms is that the sensor built into the control unit.

Regards