PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased first VW - Mark IV Golf tdi 150

Franko
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi there, this is my first venture into the VAG world of motoring and I have recently took delivery of an 03 plate 3dr golf gt tdi 150bhp with 25K miles. I was after power and economy having sol dmy last car ( rare 3dr honda civic vti which was awsome but far too thirsty and bland on the inside).

Any tips on experienced VW owners with regards maintaining the performanc eof my VW ? I understand that this golf is quite thirsty on oil? i am always confused as to which grade of oil to buy. furthermore how do you know if your car is on the long life service plan? Again sorry for any questions that are obvious but all my knowledge is in Hondas and so I cant really comment!
Love the site.

Huweth
06-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Your car may be thirsty on oil, but this should gradually deminish as it puts on more miles. It won't be properly broken in until around 60k. Since your car has the PD engine, you need oil that meets or exceeds the 505.01 or 506.01 specification. You cannot use normal VW diesel oil as it does not meet specs. The VW oil is expensive, but you may find a cheaper one that meets specs (look on the internet). Other than that just service it sensibly.

The turbo and engine seals need some boost in order to seal fully. Don't drive your car around much below 1500rpm as you don't get enough boost. This can lead to excessive oil use. It's not uncommon for oil to come from the turbo seal into the intercooler where it builds up. If you are idling for a long time (i.e. Traffic jam) it can get really bad. When you later accelerate, the oil gets sucked into the engine causing it to 'runaway'. You cannot drop the revs and the engine destroys itself. You must stall the car deliberatly if this happens, and do it very quickly (then get it towed and sorted). The simple way to avoid this is to not idle the car for extended periods.

The TDI engine benefits greatly from being pushed hard to the redline once in a while (I do it once everyday on the sliproad to work). This helps bed seals, clears carbon deposits, and most importantly burns off any intercooler oil buildup safely. Just don't nanny your engine!

Apart from that drive normally, and enjoy your great machine!

Franko
09-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks Huweth for the advice. I will certainly have no problem giving the car a 'thrash' now and then - thankfully i dont drive very often in static traffic. I was surprised to hear the engine wont really be bedded in till 60K ( did you mean miles or kilometres?) In any event I hope ot have a long relationship with the car! Can I pick your brain on another point? I understand that when you lock the car ( pressing lock button once) this enables the alarm and imobiliser yet if you lock it ( pressing button twice) the alarm is not activated - do you concur with this? Finally I notice at the moment when i unlock the car - the passanger door unlocks but when you try open it from the outside the door is relaly sticky, sometimes doesnt want to open - is this a known generic fault or something wd40 / quickm trip to VAG would sort out? I suspect the previosu owner never had nay passengers in the car and therefore rarely opened the passenger door as it is stiff!!

thanks again for the advice.

greas-E-monkey
09-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Your car may be thirsty on oil, but this should gradually deminish as it puts on more miles. It won't be properly broken in until around 60k. Since your car has the PD engine, you need oil that meets or exceeds the 505.01 or 506.01 specification. You cannot use normal VW diesel oil as it does not meet specs. The VW oil is expensive, but you may find a cheaper one that meets specs (look on the internet). Other than that just service it sensibly.

The turbo and engine seals need some boost in order to seal fully. Don't drive your car around much below 1500rpm as you don't get enough boost. This can lead to excessive oil use. It's not uncommon for oil to come from the turbo seal into the intercooler where it builds up. If you are idling for a long time (i.e. Traffic jam) it can get really bad. When you later accelerate, the oil gets sucked into the engine causing it to 'runaway'. You cannot drop the revs and the engine destroys itself. You must stall the car deliberatly if this happens, and do it very quickly (then get it towed and sorted). The simple way to avoid this is to not idle the car for extended periods.

The TDI engine benefits greatly from being pushed hard to the redline once in a while (I do it once everyday on the sliproad to work). This helps bed seals, clears carbon deposits, and most importantly burns off any intercooler oil buildup safely. Just don't nanny your engine!

Apart from that drive normally, and enjoy your great machine!

:***:

Vagnum
09-10-2006, 09:52 AM
yes I concur with greas-E-monkey.
:approve:

greas-E-monkey
09-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Thank you supra power.
Official oil consumption for your vehicle is 1 litre of oil every 1000km. Anything above this is unacceptable. Consumption is high for the first years of the vehicles life.
The o rings (oil seals) that are described as not sealing unless under pressure work perfectely in all driving conditions, if this was not the case then unmetered air would be drawn into the engine thus affecting the running. You can drive the car as you wish without having to pay attention to problems sitting in traffic etc.
The oil seals will weep oil after time as the breather system has a mist of oil which is recirculated into the boost pipe system to reduce emmisions.

Hope this helps, Enjoy the car!!!
;)

Huweth
09-10-2006, 05:32 PM
If you don't understand my posts, please know that I spent literally at least a hundred hours on tdiclub.com's forums before I bought my TDI. I wanted to know what I was getting into.
There is wealth of supremely knowledgable Americans (So what if they're Yanks), and some British too there too. I suggest you do some searching there and you will understand why I said what I said. It's considered very good and tested advice by all at tdiclub.com.

Suprapower, with all due respect, why do you visit and post on this site if you dislike VW's?

Vagnum
10-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Suprapower, with all due respect, why do you visit and post on this site if you dislike VW's?[/quote]

WELL DUE TO ME WORKING FOR VOLKSWAGEN FOR NUMBER OF YEAR'S I AM HERE TO TRY AND HELP A FEW PEOPLE, WHY R YOU???????

greas-E-monkey
10-10-2006, 10:54 AM
If you don't understand my posts, please know that I spent literally at least a hundred hours on tdiclub.com's forums before I bought my TDI. There is wealth of supremely knowledgable Americans (So what if they're Yanks), and some British too there too. It's considered very good and tested advice by all at tdiclub.com.

Suprapower, with all due respect, why do you visit and post on this site if you dislike VW's?

Spending 100 hours on a forum researching a vehicle before investing in one is sound advice, however bear in mind that because a majority have deemed something "sound advice" this does not mean it to be true or correct.
As stated all advice is just that as most people on this forum are not qualified to give such advice.

I do understand your previous post and I am afraid that some of it is tosh!
One more thing, The specs, fuel quality, atmosperic conditions and driving style are all very different in other countries so advice regarding there particular problems are completely different to what may be experienced here in Britain. Bear this in mind when getting "sound advice".

The signature for Supra power states if VW made a fast car he still would not buy one. where does it say dislike?!?

If you would like any more technical info you can give me a call a Croydon Volkswagen dealer 194 Technician 19. Thanks.

Huweth
10-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Fair enough Suprapower and Greas-e-monkey.

I was not trying to insult or stir up an arguement. I do however consider an animated logo saying '***' to be unhelpful without any justification.

I also ponder the fact that you consider some of the experience of 99.9% of people who own and work on VW's to be 'tosh'.

Clearly advice is just advice. Clearly cars and countries are different, but the same laws of mechanics and physics apply (I justify this by telling you that I'm a science teacher so I know a bit about it).

Sure, Suprapowers signature doesn't actually say he dislikes VW's, but if you don't know that he works/worked for VW it does imply he dislikes VW's.

Is it unfair to ask you both to change your signatures to show that you are or have been working for VW? This would help add weight to comments you post.

Please also try to be more helpful with than damming of advice.

I say again that I am not here for arguements.
All I am here for is to learn from other peoples experiences, and to filter down and pass on my own. People will read my suggestions and choose to accept or disregard my advice. It's up to them. '***' doesn't help anyone.

Now, lets forget this rediculous arguement and get on with passing and gaining knowledge.

stuart
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Lets finish this argument now shall we!

It has now gone a long way off the original topic that was started by "franko"...which "Huweth" took time to try and offer advise, as he has done in the past.

This is VAG related website, not a website dedicated to causing arguments between members, so in a nutshell... if you don't want to offer friendly advise, or make constructive or useful comments that help the poster of the original post... then DON'T POST AT ALL!

Thread now closed!