PDA

View Full Version : Backing out self-tapping screws holding door trim?

centerstripe
27-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm trying to replace the trim on the outside of the doors on an A4 Wagon. I found a helpful thread on this board that said to remove the self-tapping screw at the front of the door near the lower hinge and the old trim would slide right off. Unfortunately, I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting the screws to back out. I can get them to turn ok but that's all they seem to do. Turn and turn without coming out. I've tried this on all the doors with identical results. Is there a trick to getting these suckers out?

Many thanks.

TheWills
30-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Self tapping screws will often have a plain shank at the top of the screw thread. This prevents vibration working them loose as they are no longer on the thread. To remove them you need to put pressure under the screw head to pull it as you turn to get it back onto thread. Using a screwdriver to lever back or circlip pliers to pull from under the head usually works but watch out if you lever with a screwdriver as a slip can put a nasty deep scratch in the paintwork if you aren't carefull.