PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 Avant 2004 rear washer

dap504
26-12-2007, 03:13 PM
I discovered my rear washer was not working recently although the motor was operating. On further investigation I found water dripping from the tailgate trim. Having removed the tailgate trim, and some of the interior roof lining, I have traced the leak into the bulkhead of the car - this now looks a big job! Any similar experience and am I now at the point of going to a garage/dealer to sort out?
Any help much appreciated.

:confused:

Crasher
26-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Hello and welcome. This is a common problem. You cut the quick fit (quick fall off) connector out and replace it with a piece of VW washer pipe and some crimp connectors that you local Audi dealer should be able to supply you with.

Kiwivin
02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I stopped using mine as it just fills the passenger footwell up with water. Is now on the to-do list next time im taking things apart.....looks like i need to remove the front wheel and the inner trim just to get to the water bottle.

So, does the hose to the rear run inside the headlining and then down the front pillar then? (next to windscreen) into bulkhead?

Cheers

Crasher
02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Which year A4?

Kiwivin
02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Which year A4? Its a 1998 model although doesnt have a seperate reservoir for the rear.

Crasher
02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
doesnt have a seperate reservoir for the rear

They stopped doing that in about 1985. The pipe runs down the sill and up the C pillar.

31satara
03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
This may be of help - I've just finished putting it back together this morning!
My rear washer (98 A4 avant SE) worked but wasn't great. Ther other day a rear passenger noted the footwell was wet. Upon investigation it was saturated - as was the front footwell (n/s). I soon realised it wasn't just water, but screenwash - no wonder I had to top it up quite a lot. It was obviously leaking into the footwells from somewhere -I started from the back, it turned out to be the front. Lifting carpets is not easy since it's all one piece. I had to remove the front seat and put to one side (couldn't completely disconnect since didn't know how to undo airbag connector). The thick foam backing the carpet was saturated. I mopped the worst and soaked up as much as I could but it's still all very wet - roll on summer to dry this out properly.
Back to the leak: The black washer pipe comes down from the front n/s corner. You can get to it by simply removing the plastic side cover in the footwell (two screws). On mine there was a connector on the pipe that had come loose and was leaking badly. I've refitted and taped, hopefully should do the job.
It would be worth Kiwivin checking this as a possible source of a leak as it's easy to get to, but I don't know about the 2004 model.....

mein AUDI
03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Also have a washer problem! Since a severe cold spell the washer jets - front, rear and headlamp do not function. No sound is heard and no water seen when tried. The resevior is full and all was working fine before the -12 degree freeze.

Car is a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 2.5 TDI quattro

Crasher
04-01-2008, 02:20 PM
They have separate pumps so that would appear to be a problem with the on-board power supply unit. You need to have a fault code scan done on Central Electrics 09.

Kiwivin
21-01-2008, 02:59 PM
This may be of help - I've just finished putting it back together this morning!
My rear washer (98 A4 avant SE) worked but wasn't great. Ther other day a rear passenger noted the footwell was wet. Upon investigation it was saturated - as was the front footwell (n/s). I soon realised it wasn't just water, but screenwash - no wonder I had to top it up quite a lot. It was obviously leaking into the footwells from somewhere -I started from the back, it turned out to be the front. Lifting carpets is not easy since it's all one piece. I had to remove the front seat and put to one side (couldn't completely disconnect since didn't know how to undo airbag connector). The thick foam backing the carpet was saturated. I mopped the worst and soaked up as much as I could but it's still all very wet - roll on summer to dry this out properly.
Back to the leak: The black washer pipe comes down from the front n/s corner. You can get to it by simply removing the plastic side cover in the footwell (two screws). On mine there was a connector on the pipe that had come loose and was leaking badly. I've refitted and taped, hopefully should do the job.
It would be worth Kiwivin checking this as a possible source of a leak as it's easy to get to, but I don't know about the 2004 model.....

Thanks chap ill try that next time i've got a dry day and some sunlight to start taking things apart. Good luck drying the carpets.

Kiwivin
24-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok so tried that removed panel, taped up elbow (on water pipe not mine) sprayed the rear wash wipe and soaked the electric box that sits behind the panel as water squirted down from above...........................nope thats not it then, Glovebox back out next and search a bit higher.

thanks though, now wheres that WD40................

routers77
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Kiwivin,

did you manage to fix your problem?

Mine is also leaking from above and behind where the heater motor sits.

Neil

Kiwivin
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
to be honest mate i just left it and dont bother using it. Its only annoying this time of year (winter) when a lot of crap gets thrown up over the boot. Rest of the time you wouldnt really notice as its usually raining when you use the wiper.

There is a plastic connector which is worth trying first which isnt too hard to get to.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Ive been a bit lazy as i dont have anywhere really to work on the car so its a pain in the ****.

mikeybutch
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
This really asummer job because it could be the connector in the pipe under the carpet on the passenger sidewhich has popped I found this and the insulation in the well was soaked and took several hot days to dry and using a hair dryer too. You could just reconnect the pipe for now but clean the rear nozzle because I think a blockage there causes the problem as it seems common.

routers77
05-01-2010, 01:33 PM
it's not come apart at the connector. i've checked that. it's further above, behind the fan motor. (about where the bottom of the windscreen meets the dashboard)
is there a connection in the passenger side front wing? (behind the wheel liner)
thanks for your replies.

mikeybutch
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Must be another connector somewhere I guess because the pipe cant just split open elsewhereIt seems that Audi have just not bothered to make sure that they are cnnected for life to avoid all this mess .I have never had such a problem with other cars with rear w/wipe going back to 1970s 205s golfs etc. why cant they listen and fix because the dealers must see it a lot.