PDA

View Full Version : Bora TDI Turbo/smoking issue

dles1966
04-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi, first post, here goes.

My Bora TDI developed a high pitched whistle a few days ago, which I assumed to be the turbo in its way out. There did not appear to be a marked drop off in power though.

Anyway today there is a BIG problem, the exaust is smoking huge amounts (smells very oily) and the turbo power non existed, engine lacks any power whats so ever. And the turbo whistle seems to have gone.

Another big problem, virtually no oil in the engine, I put 3 litres back in before I tried anything else, started the car, sounded OK, but loads of belching smoke again. On tick over virtually all the oil had gone in a few minutes.

No oil in the water, or water in the oil. But the low oil warning light does not come on (it does come on briefly when starting the engine, when all the lights come on for a few seconds to test).

Any ideas?

I am assuming that the turbo has gone completely, and is sucking the oil straight out of the engine somehow. At the back rear of the engine (just above the sump) is a small pipe which looks to me to be the oil intake, for I assume the turbo.

Could it be that the turbo bearings or seals have gone and the turbo is therefore sucking out all the oil down to the level of this connection tube?

Hopefully I have not done too much damage to the engine, as loads of oil went! I was on the motorway at the time so did not notice the smoke until I had to slow down a bit.

Many Thanks

adamss24
04-10-2006, 09:15 PM
hi, get your turbo changed/reconditioned right away because if you continue driving the car as is you may experience engine runaway(the engine cannot distinguish between diesel and hot oil thats sucked past the seals and will rev to destruction. If the car its AUTOMATIC you're only sollution its to shut the engine off with the ignition switch...if its manual, try to stall the engine stepping on the brakes while beeing in high gear) and you have to act verry fast...Hope you will sort the problem.Good luck.

Huweth
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Agreed. If I remember rightly, your car has no bearing in the turbo. The shaft sits in a pool of oil as a bearing, with a seal around it. If the seal is gone, the turbo may be sitting out of position and so stuck. This would allow the large quantities of oil you are talking about to escape. Who knows whether it is going into your intake or exhaust? I'd say exhaust as you couldn't burn off that much oil in the engine in that time without it revving past the red line (which would happen if it went into the intake).
As Adam says, get turbo sorted. It might be worth checking the exhaust system for oil, and definately the intercooler and pipes.
Let us know...

dles1966
04-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks chaps - sounds as if it may have been going in the inlet as the engine did rev very high occasionally.

Any ideas where I might get a new or reconditioned turbo? Car is 115K so may go for reconditioned.

Thanks