PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Golf TDI

j_coupland
27-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi all

Having owned 6 Vauxhalls for the last 4 years I have now decided to try one of the other German cars on the market and have decided on a Mk3 Golf round about the N,P and R reg stage. I'm only really interested in the 1.9 TDi unit just now and only the hatchback Golfs.

So far I've come across the GL and CL variants but as I'm used to Vauxhalls I have no idea of what to look out for when I'm looking for a Golf, such as good points, bad points etc. Also what is the better spec GL or CL?

Can anyone please advise?

stuart
27-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi all

Having owned 6 Vauxhalls for the last 4 years I have now decided to try one of the other German cars on the market and have decided on a Mk3 Golf round about the N,P and R reg stage. I'm only really interested in the 1.9 TDi unit just now and only the hatchback Golfs.

So far I've come across the GL and CL variants but as I'm used to Vauxhalls I have no idea of what to look out for when I'm looking for a Golf, such as good points, bad points etc. Also what is the better spec GL or CL?

Can anyone please advise? Hi

First of all, thank you fo joining and posting on the site.

I would recommend a 96- model. as I belive these has a few more standard features than the pre 96 models, and can be identified by fully painted bumpers, and "oval" shaped side repeater lamps.

With VW, the "GL" derivative will be better spec'ed than the "CL". If I remember correct, the "GL" had electric windows, sunroof, and power steering as standard, along with better trim (please correct me if I am wrong).

The Golf has always been a reliable vehicle, with very few "common" faults, the only things I can think of that were fairly common, were Front top suspension mounts, and rear axle mounts, other than that, you should get a reliable car.

The TDi engine, and come to think of it, all the VAG diesel engines are excellent units. Just mnake sure it has a good service history, and the timing belt has been changed in accordance with the service schedule. If the vehicle has been maintained properly, and all work carried out, you should have no problems.

Having worked a a VW dealers, I know of a number of VW diesels, both cars and commercials that have covered in excess of 200K miles, including a 2 1/2 year old Audi 80 diesel, that had done 260K, and a Transporter "Minibus" diesel used as a taxi, that had covered 400K miles both with very little additional maintenance above "normal" servicing.

Hope this helps, and I hope you will continue to visit and use this site.

Stuart

j_coupland
27-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi, your advice has certainly helped a great deal, i will take all your info into consideration, thanks very much

stuart
27-12-2004, 11:37 PM
No problem, glad to help.

Stuart

j_coupland
16-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi. I've got my eye on an M reg Golf GL TDI. Its got the full electric pack with full service history and it's done just over 101,000 miles. The garage is wanting £2,250
for it. But there are a couple of things I'm not sure about -

1) There is a delay between pushing the accelerator and the engine revving-up, is this normal?

2) A few of the services were done a VW dealerships and most of the others were at small garages. It's asking for IN 02 before the engine is started, obviously this means an Inspection 2 service but is that bad news and how much would it cost at VW garage?

Can anyone help? I'm hoping to put a deposit on it today
Thanks
John

stuart
17-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi. I've got my eye on an M reg Golf GL TDI. Its got the full electric pack with full service history and it's done just over 101,000 miles. The garage is wanting £2,250
for it. But there are a couple of things I'm not sure about -

1) There is a delay between pushing the accelerator and the engine revving-up, is this normal?

2) A few of the services were done a VW dealerships and most of the others were at small garages. It's asking for IN 02 before the engine is started, obviously this means an Inspection 2 service but is that bad news and how much would it cost at VW garage?

Can anyone help? I'm hoping to put a deposit on it today
Thanks
John
Hi John

Sorry for the delay in replying, was out most of yesterday.

I would not expect the delay to be normal, but could just be somthing as silly as a loose accelerator cable, may be worth checking?

As long as the car has been well maintained, by a reasonable technicion, you should find no problems in were the vehicle was serviced;) If I remeber correct "INSP2" was a large service, so it may be worth telling the garage you would concider buying if they did the service, as part of the deal.

In the long run, if you are concerned about the mechanics of the vehicle, either get an AA/RAC inspection done, or get a local garage to look over it for you first, might be a few p[ounds well spent.

STuart

gibby
17-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Just be careful and make sure that they actually do a service on the car and not just input the code to reset the mfa without actually doing the work.

stuart
17-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Good point!

Stuart

j_coupland
24-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Hi all.

I bought the Golf TDI I was looking at and I've never driven such a comfortable car as this. Only a couple of things wrong, the wipers needed changed which I done earlier, the front driver side strut mount is broken, getting replaced soon and the temp. warning light occasionally flashes, could be a duff coolant temp sensor but the car runs very well.

I really don't know why I never considered a VW before!

Thanks for all the advice
John

stuart
24-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi all.

I bought the Golf TDI I was looking at and I've never driven such a comfortable car as this. Only a couple of things wrong, the wipers needed changed which I done earlier, the front driver side strut mount is broken, getting replaced soon and the temp. warning light occasionally flashes, could be a duff coolant temp sensor but the car runs very well.

I really don't know why I never considered a VW before!

Thanks for all the advice
John

No problem John, glad you found the site helpful.

Good choice of car, by the way. Those are not real major faults, and once rectified I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

Stuart