PDA

View Full Version : Mark 3 Newbie with a question...

domross
24-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi...I've just bought a '93 8v GTi.....only 35k on the clock....as you'd expect all is in excellent order with the car....the only problem I found on the journey back from the dealer was this....when decelerating either in gear or coasting,with or without brakes applied ,there is a clicking sound gets slower as speed does.....sounds like a piece of card between bicycle wheel spokes....does not happen under acceleration or at constant speed....no pulling to one side so brakes unlikely....not the engine as not connected to engine speed, not gears as happens in and out of gear....similarly not the clutch.....I'm doubtful its the wheel bearings as again only happens under deceleration....

So anyone any ideas as to what it might be :confused::confused:

kenney
24-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Might sound a bit stupid but are you sure there is not something in the tyre treads

domross
24-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks Kenney I know what you mean....had this happen before with a nail and small bit of wood...v. similar sound but thats not it....also just jacked up the car all wheels running freely and all wheel bolts tight ,no obvious play in any of the wheels....mucho confused....:confused:

24-12-2007, 06:31 PM
do you have abs, as when my fault light was active not saying yours is , i had a dislogded sensor and clicking noise was heard same as yours rubbing on brake disc only whilst slowing down as engine noise covered this whilst accelerating
just a suggestion

domross
26-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I do have ABS...no light on though so sensor probably OK??

Could it be one of the CV joints? All OK handling wise tho?

domross
26-12-2007, 08:46 PM
OK I've searched the forum and it doesn't appear to be the cv joints as clicking occurs in straight lines under deceleration only and also when reversing....

Could it be a heat shield rubbing on something????

Please Help....

Crasher
26-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Does it have aftermarket alloys or has it just had locking wheel bolts fitted?

domross
26-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Nope....all original.....on the way home tonight did go over a speed bump a little too fast all the clicking stopped for a short while...then came back after a motorway run....well and truly jiggered by this one....

Crasher
27-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Is it more audible with the window open and if so, which side?

domross
27-12-2007, 12:37 AM
It's v.v. difficult to tell...with the window open it sounds like the N/S wheel (just).....with the windows closed it sounds dead central probably just forwards of the gear stick...

Crasher
27-12-2007, 02:18 PM
It is difficult diagnosing noises like this; it could be as simple as pads moving, a pattern CV boot clip clicking against the hub or even a gearbox fault. I had a similar weird noise on my wife’s car and it drove me mad finding it. In the end I drove along virtually hanging out of the window and it turned out to be a noisy tyre bead edge on the rim. I had another similar one on a Golf 3 a number of years ago and it would not show up on the ramp. In the end I found that he had fitted locking wheel bots which were very slightly too long and the bolt was pushing the ABS rotor into the ABS sensor, but only when the car was on the floor and only on one side. You won’t have ABS though.

domross
27-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I am guessing when I finally find what it is ,it's going to be a 'doh' moment....just been to my local tyre place to have the tracking checked (was out but not the cause) ,they let me have a good look when it was up on the ramps ,CV boots were OK ,heat shield still looked solid....can't be the gears or clutch as on ly happens under deceleration and still happens in neutral...can't see anything obvious rubbing so at present will have to be sure that I'm accelerating everywhere!!!:biglaugh:

domross
25-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Have been into the local indys and they have diagnosed a gear box fault...the gear diffs are shot?!? They are wanting £250 for a working gear box and £200 for labour is this about right??

Crasher
25-01-2008, 01:31 PM
It is plausible, but £450 sounds way too cheap.

Desertfish
25-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Price could be right though. £200 labour seems a good price to get the gearbox replaced. At least that is more or less what I got quoted a while back when the gearbox on my g/f car needed replacing.

The price of the gearbox itself can vary though. You'll be looking at around £450 to £500 for a reconditioned one but you could sometimes pick up a second hand gearbox from a breakeryard for as little as £150.

If you want to look yourself for a second hand gearbox, have a look at www.breakeryard.com (http://www.breakeryard.com).

domross
29-01-2008, 08:27 PM
All fixed and no clicking now....I'm assuming the reverse cog went ,was left and wiped out the rest of the gears??? came to £482 inc ...that was for a 2nd hand box not refurbed!!