PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan on order!

Frelon
24-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Well, in my dreams! Saw one a couple of weeks ago in a French VW dealer. Really fantastic, with a sunshine roof which extends quite a way back. Four wheel drive - just right for the snow slopes of Chelsea! ....and plenty of boot space. Wish I had bought one of these instead of my Golf Plus. They say it is all about timing!:D

dubcruiser
31-01-2008, 07:21 PM
They have just started advertising it on the TV over here, and it looks nice. I would have one over an X3. Think it makes the X3 look dated!

RobBentley
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
My father test-drove one yesterday (Currently a FreeLander driver) and honestly, he didnt like it. He says its nearly exactly the same as one Nissan are selling re-badged, and after pounding info from the salesman for half an hour, it turns out it is the same car.

dubcruiser
04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
This doesn't suprise me. Bit of the Galaxy / Sharan / Alambra (or what ever the Seat variant was called) MPV joint effort that went on several years back.

batteredhubby
23-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Driven a Tiguan from a mate that works at a VW Dealer and I can honestly say it drives very very well- it's quiet, goes well (2.0tdi 140) and really handles much like a car rather than a 4wd with hardly any body roll even when pushed hard. I've also driven freelanders and they just dont compare on quality of build or driving. The only thing I can fault with this car is dissapointing boot space- I think anyone that has ordered one will be very happy with it, VW have a winner in my opinion:approve:

jockblue
03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Agree with Batteredhubby. I test drove the same model and was only put off by the lack of boot space. The handbrake is much improved from the Passat that I currently drive, and the car was smooth and responsive. As I say, put off by the boot space, the smarm factor of the dealer who clearly only had a few of these he was able to sell, and hence was able to offer a completely laughable trade in on the Passat....

I'll leave it for a year, when there's plenty around at a discount, and the Ford focus variant is in direct competition with it.
Cheers
jb

digiman
17-04-2008, 03:31 PM
What Nissan car are you comparing it to ?

stonedagain
03-06-2008, 01:08 PM
My father test-drove one yesterday (Currently a FreeLander driver) and honestly, he didnt like it. He says its nearly exactly the same as one Nissan are selling re-badged, and after pounding info from the salesman for half an hour, it turns out it is the same car.
That is total dog poo! Salesman is obviously an idiot! (I work at the Nissan factory)

daveatsaughall
12-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I have to say that having been driving a 140 Tdi for about a month now, I'm finding it a real pleasure and as near to a hot hatch for a 4x4 you can get me thinks, unless you have a bottomless wallet. I'm looking forward to trying the 170bhp soon though which appears to tick even more of the boxes.

I do agree that it has its faults though - boot space is the biggest (or smallest!) issue followed by the crap luggage compartment cover - just what can you do with it when you need to stand a couple of large suitcases in the boot!!!

Other niggles - I'm getting used to the first gear now, but given the torque I find I'm starting off in second gear more and more frequently, as in first gear you are having to change up far too soon. Fuel economy is okay, but nowhere near the quoted levels (as you would expect) and my right foot isn't that heavy.

Overall, I'm really impressed though and just hope that the Audi Q5 isn't that much different as I'm waiting for my 170bhp Tiguan to arrive at the end of September - I'll report back!

Before deciding on the Tiguan I explored the Freelander (not fuel efficient enough and I don't drive up many mountains), the Honda CRV (nice in many ways, but I didn't find it very comfortable and it was more of a girl's car in finish) and the Ford Kuga (hated it from first look and there's even less room in the boot than the Tiguan). The Q5 wasn't about then and I've not explored it to any great detail, but the write up in What Car appears positive.

Finally, since I've been driving my Tiguan, I've seen very few on the roads and you tend to look out for them once you've been driving one. To my mind this can only bode well for re-sale values. The motoring press appears to indicate a 56 - 60% return after 3 years which is phenomenal in any book.......

Welcome any views??????

Best

DH

li2a
14-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I own a Tiguan 1.4 tsi petrol which ive had since May this year and im usually a Golf GTI driver but i fancied a change and all i can say is its fab. I have got 2 kids and i do find the one major downside is the lack of boot space. With having a double pushchair i find the lack of bootspace frustrating but it does offer alittle extra space when you have the back seats pushed forward slighty which is ok for me as i have little children in car seats but probably less convenient if having adults sat in the back.I also like that i dont have to bend down into the boot like i did my golf as the cars much higher.
I have had one major fault with mine with a squeak on the accelarator which has now had a new 2 way pully fitted and a new water pump and a new supercharger clutch so hopefully this has sorted it.
All in All its a Fab car, well worth the price tag and anyone who knows VW knows you get the great VW build quality and fantastic customer service. Well worth a look if your interested in buying one :Blush:

west1
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree its a fab car and ticks some boxes that other offerings dont, The nissan "sneeze" is not even in the same class. the freelander is a great car off road(but who honestly uses it??) CRV too fussy and complcated and not very comfy driving position.

And whoever made the comments that it is the same as a nissan offering needs to do some more homework.
I too work in the auto industry and supply all the majors including VW and Nissan, total Tosh!!!

west 1

redticktickboom
26-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I've just sold my much loved MkV GTi to buy the 2.0 TSi (200) Sport it comes on March 1st for the new plate and I can't wait, only drawback I can see is that the 18" wheels don't seem to fill the arches enough, does anyone know where I can get 20's or 22's for my tiggy?

redticktickboom
02-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I took delivery yesterday (1/3/09) of my brand new Tiguan 2.0 TSI (200) Sport, what a car! Candy white with black leather, panoramic roof, DAB radio, MF Steering wheel, bluetooth etc. it's not as quick as my GTi was but in fairness it's not far off and it's actually quite entertaining to drive. I AM VERY IMPRESSED!

GeoffPaysBasque
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
We're just about to order a Tiguan TDi 140 2WD.. I'm 6'2" and I've got long legs (& dicky knees) and so I need the max leg room I can find. We also need a car with cruise control due to the proliferation of speed cameras here in France (I've had one ticket already).

I've been reading all the 4x4 reviews in What Car online and what's clear to me is that new & used car prices in the UK appear to be lower than on the continent. How this works with the fall in Sterling in the 2 yrs we've been in the Basque country I can't begin to understand.

Anyway, we've been test driving the manual diesel opposition for the last few weeks - the Suzuki Grand Vitara was the way out in front winner as far as leg room was concerned but nowhere when other factors were thrown into the equation.

Tried a RAV4.. almost there but not quite. Side opening rear door impractical in France (they tend to park quite close to each other here).

The latest Honda CR-V (& we loved our 2 previous CR-Vs with the original styling) - too flashy. And surprisingly, not much leg room.

Nissan Qashqai - noisy and skittery over a bumpy road.

The X-Trail? Excellent reviews but again noisy and nowhere near as good as the reviews would have you believe. Plus what is that styling all about? Not so much a car as more the box it came in.

Tried one auto - a Freelander 2 2.2 diesel - loved this car in many ways but too expensive for me to run (servicing costs and fuel economy). Plus it was more 4x4 than we needed. (The only time we needed the 4x4 capability of our CR-V in England was one Christmas in a muddy car park..)

Then we tried the Tiguan.. In a different league to the rest - apart from the Freelander 2 which has still to prove that Land Rover reliability issues are a thing of the past. End of discussion. Sober 'grown up' styling & beautifully engineered. And this new TDi 140 engine is a revelation.. Our current car is a 2003 Mk 4 Golf TDi and the 2 engines are chalk & cheese. The Tiguan is so refined in its power delivery, quality of ride, near silence.. Only the Freelander approached it for quality. In short, we are smitten.

All that remains is for us to decide where we're going to buy one from. Here in France, the car market is wacky at the moment.. It's possible to find a new LHD Tiguan TDi 140 here for just over 24,000 euros.. whereas used low mileage (with similar spec) examples are from 28,000 & up.. Clearly someone somewhere is doing some major discounting.

Looking forward to doing some long trips in the Tiguan..

bpunkgttdipd10
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Tiguan is not 4x4, it's 4Motion, so most of the time it's running front wheel drive, and only transfers 10-100% of the power to the back when needed, all computer controlled so don't need to even think about it. 170 is very quick, and corners and handles like a VW should :)

Just got Tiguan 170 Sport and love it, far quieter then my GT TDI PD 130, it has foam which is then vacuum sealed in plastic bags - can hardly hear it inside, not that I mind sound of a well running diesel engine.

GeoffPaysBasque
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM
bpunkgttdipd10 said:

Tiguan is not 4x4, it's 4Motion, so most of the time it's running front wheel drive, and only transfers 10-100% of the power to the back when needed, all computer controlled so don't need to even think about it.
Yawn.. yes, I think we all understand the technology.. My previous CR-Vs had it too..
I don't think I said the Tiguan was a 4x4..
I suggest you write to What Car and put them right..
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/search?dimensionIds=368&dimensionIds=308

bpunkgttdipd10
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
That's a very poorly written and researched article on What Car, tempted to write to them, but normally expect to get paid for that kind of stuff. For a start I find it ridiculous to try and compare two different groups of cars, Tiggy is a mini-SUV, and if you want to compare a VW SUV with another SUV then comparison should be made with the Touareg. It's nearest equivalent would be the Audi Q3 expected next year.

Also, the review author misses the point of the 170 TDI, it's the best of both worlds as I have fuel efficiency comparable with the 140 TDI, and more power like the 200 BHP TSI, if I want I could remap my ECU further and TDI is far more flexible then TSI. My annual costs are lower since I'm several VED bands lower then the TSI, and my costs should be lower as the TDI will need Cam belt and Haldex service intervals with less frequency compared to the TSI.

Pasted a XC60 the other day on M62, didn't have to put much effort into it though, since it was a Volvo driver, passenger looked as though she wished she was in Tiggy too..

daveatsaughall
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Had my Tiguan 170 since last September and have done nearly 16000 miles now and have to say that I love it. Only two issues that spoil it being the most complete compact SUV available in my mind.
1. The Sat Nav - not sure whether they have cured the post code etc problem, but I have to say that my Tom Tom was much better and far more intuitive. Grossly over priced for what it is as well.
2. The boot could be bigger and the luggage cover is a crap design.

I'm clocking (with a heavy right foot) approx 36-38mpg and can blast most things off the road. I tow about 2000Kg on a regular basis and it manages the challenge with ease and still returns 32-33 mpg.

Yep great car, could just do with the minor niggles - especially the Sat Nav sorting - any clues when it will be anyone??? :approve:

bpunkgttdipd10
05-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Yep, not impressed at all with Sat Nav so never paid for it. Use TomTom which is far better and will be available soon for iPhone 3G and 3GS, and iPhone can be well integrated into Tiggy. Though TomTom may also soon become old tech as augmented reality navigation apps become available on iPhone...

L1RMO
23-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi All

I'm a newbie on here and just looking as I've ordered my first VW, a Tiguan Escape 140bhp 2.0 TDI which should be at the dealer at the end of Sept or beginning of Oct.

My brother has just bought a brand new Freelander HSE with the new stop start technology. It's a lovely car and look every inch a 4 x 4.

I looked at this car, the Honda, Nissan Quashqai and one or two others. I settled on the Tiguan as my family have had VW and love the build quality. I also like the fact the Tiguan wasn't an out and out looking 4x4, had good mpg and what really sold it to me was the great sunroof. The local dealers didn't have one with a sunroof to show me so had to look at it on U Tube. Saw a parked Tiguan today and got out of my car to have a look at the sunroof. Seems great to me.

The only negative I can say about the Tiguan is that I'm amazed it doesn't have the stop/start technology fitted.

What amazes me is seeing VW dealers selling used Tiguans with sometimes thousands of miles on the clock for more than I'm paying for mine which is going to have more optional extras fitted. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm happy to wait 8 weeks or whatever to get a new car cheaper with more extras and a full 3 year warranty.

desi
30-10-2009, 08:23 PM
I've just sold my much loved MkV GTi to buy the 2.0 TSi (200) Sport it comes on March 1st for the new plate and I can't wait, only drawback I can see is that the 18" wheels don't seem to fill the arches enough, does anyone know where I can get 20's or 22's for my tiggy?
:beerchug:

GeoffPaysBasque
20-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Re the comment about the lack of stop/start technology on the Tiguan..
Here in France, all new Tiguans now come with stop/start as standard or Blue Motion as VW call it here..
Don't know if that applies to UK models yet.

HMFC
02-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Ordered mine on the 17th September:

2.0TDI match Blue Motion 2WD Wild Cherry.

thax1
30-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Sounds very nice HMFC - do you have an approx delivery date as yet?

thax1
09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Ordered Match 140TDi on 30th October, and have been given March 23rd 2011 as a delivery date.

Soon its going to be like owning Morgan's - you'll order your next one when the new car arrives...:rolleyes:

ERA
18-11-2010, 09:09 PM
This thread has been very enlightening, as I too ordered a Tiguan Match BlueMotion (2.0 TDI 140 PS 2WD + cruise control & fixed price service plan) back in August and was promised a 12 week delivery. Now being told the order was accepted by the factory, but as yet not been allocated a build date, which is usually given 3 weeks beforehand.

The dealer hasn't been able to get any further details from VW and doesn't expect delivery until next year. I am very dissapointed with VW, as we currently have a Golf and Audi TT and have been loyal to the brand for quite sometime.

We are now considering looking at other alternatives and if successful will cancel the order. Any ideas out there on comparable makes/models we should look at? Also is there any way we can put pressure on VW to deliver?