PDA

View Full Version : GOLF MK3 TDI ENGINE CHOICE?

GERMANAPPRECIATIONSOCIETY
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi, can you please help me? I would like to buy a mk3 Golf tdi but I have been looking at some figures and I am a little confused as to which engine to go for, I have found sites claiming there was an AFN code engine with 81kw (110bhp), but when I rang a man from vw he said that only the 66kw (90bhp) version was available in the mk3 hatchback:confused: , could this be explained by the AFN engine being available only in the estate version? and what is the difference between the AHU 66Kw engine and the 1Z 66Kw engine and are they both available in the mk3 hatchback?:(
Thanks in advance regards Alex:biglaugh:

adamss24
07-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Hi, according to autodata they were 3 engine available for the mk3 golf: 1Z/AHU-90Bhp-1993-1998, ALE-90Bhp-1997-1998 and AFN-110Bhp-1996-1998. First one was they entry level tdi, they had it troughout the range in jetta/passat models. 1Z/AHU and ALE had the same injectors/injection pump the only difference was on the ALE the nozzles had the oppening pressure higher than 1Z/AHU, as this engine was intended to pas more stringent emissions and to be fitted to USA spec TDI and on to car with automatic gearboxes but they soon find out that all they needed for automatics was a bigger plunger on the injection pump, 11mm as opposed to 10 mm on automatics and nozzles with a higher flow and breaking pressure to be able to inject the max possible fuel in the shorter time. Also the fitted a VNT 15 turbocharger togheter with revised maps helped to burn all that exces fuel . AFN on the other hand had different injection pump and revized fuel maps, but i am not shure if it had the VNT 17 turbocharger or the Vnt 15. I think the main difference between the moddels are just the fuel maps and injection pump.Not shure about the internals, though. When i will find some time i will have a look in ELSA to see what other difference are between these particular models. Hope this helps.

GERMANAPPRECIATIONSOCIETY
08-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I am interested in the 110 nhp AFN engine specifically though, can you tell me if it was available in the mk3 hatchback, as people I have spoke to seem to think it is not?
Regards Alex

djswivel
13-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Hi,

It is avaliable in the hatchback, as I drive one. They're just a bit tricky to find.

rincewind35
29-06-2009, 05:27 PM
hi, can you tell which engine is fitted from the chassis number or engine number on the logbook ? just curious as I have recently bought a LHD CL TDi estate (which is supposedly a Henri Lloyd Yachting edition?????) and am curious which engine it has, as to be honest its pretty nippy. Thanks

veedub76
29-06-2009, 06:02 PM
They certainly are available in the MK3 as i've seen one for sale a few months ago.A rare find if you can get your hands on one.My missus drives a 1996 TDI GL and she loves it,does around 650 miles on a tank of fuel and has cost 2 tyres and 2 services in 2 years of ownership.Was after a TDI myself having had the MK4 TDI 110 and TDI 150,but have settled for a MK3 8 valve GTI instead, credit crunch etc etc.:approve:

roboman-spain
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
If you are looking for a fast diesel the 110 bhp, engine code afn is the one its badged up as GT tdi mine also has a red i, good luck in your search , have someone with knowledge have a look over it as they can be a bitch to repair if not maintained correctly, Rob