PDA

View Full Version : mk2 golf running problem

mpcahill
22-12-2007, 07:34 PM
hi all im new on here and need some help with my mk2 golf 1800.
its a 1991 model running a carb .
a week or so ago it started to rev to 300 rpm but was staying at this speed , then would suffer from pre ignition when i turned it off.
i then changed the spark plugs , rotor arm , dizzy cap and carm mounting flange .
the car wouldnt then fire up but after checking pipes, conections and timing it did. took it up the road to test it after about a mile it started to back fire and jump then lost all power and stalled .
now it will fire up for only a few seconds but sounds very lumpy then cuts out followed by a puff of fumes from the carb.
if any one can help id be greatful.

Diamond Hell
22-12-2007, 08:08 PM
What carb are you running?

Have you pulled the jets out and cleaned them?

Have you emptied the tank recently?

Could be junk that's been sucked into the jets and blocked them.

mpcahill
22-12-2007, 08:12 PM
its got the pierberg 2e2 carb , havent emptied the tank and i havent cleaned them ill try that . cheers

Diamond Hell
22-12-2007, 09:26 PM
its got the pierberg 2e2 carb

Yeah there's the main issue.

It's more likely that some of the newness has worn off your Pierburg.

mpcahill
22-12-2007, 09:34 PM
so probaley best to get hold of a webber to fit on to it then

Diamond Hell
22-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Well I know that would be my preferred option every time.

Crasher
22-12-2007, 10:42 PM
On the drivers side of the carb there is a small black circular device called a Thermo Time Valve. The power cable to this valve gets damaged by the clutch cable routing of a right hand rive car. Make sure the connection to the TVV is correct and not two bodged on speaker terminals as is usual. Peel back the rubber boot the check the wires are not broken.

mpcahill
23-12-2007, 02:05 PM
cheers mate there is a broken wire on it

Crasher
23-12-2007, 04:56 PM
That will be your problem. The TTV isn't being heated up electrically, only by engine bay heat so the TTV will hold open the 3-4 point unit which is responsible for idle control and overrun cut off and this will also explain the running on as the 3-4 point unit acts as a cut off when the engine is shut down. Repairing the wiring is awkward to do reliably and long term unless you have the correct terminals or the VW repair wires and a terminal extractor tool. Is the plug in good condition? Do you need any part numbers?

mpcahill
23-12-2007, 05:02 PM
ive just had a look at it but the clutch cable doesnt go past it . there were 2 wires coming off of it both were speaker style terminals on them 1 of them was broken so i have fitted a new conecter and the car runs again but with a very iratic idle anything between 500 to 2000rpm

Crasher
23-12-2007, 05:20 PM
An erratic idle like that could be anything from an air leak (the servo pipe to the manifold is a favourite, check it carefully at the rubber elbow to the manifold), a broken carb base (move the carb around with the engine running to see if the idle changes) or poor set up like timing, mixture-all sorts.

mpcahill
23-12-2007, 07:39 PM
i think there is an air leak in to the fuel filter but ill look over aginand check the mixture . its got a new rubber on the carb and had the timing done yesterday . i also think that there is something missing on the carb as the butterfly says open at all times .

Crasher
23-12-2007, 07:48 PM
If your worry over air in the fuel is the air bubble above the fuel in the filter, it is how it should look. When you say the butterfly is open, you mean the choke flap so that means the choke unit has failed and they are expensive (about £85 from GSF) and awkward to set up. It is time to consign the Pierburg to the scrap heap and fit a Weber conversion kit. How was the timing set? Which distributor has your car got, Bosch or Valeo/Ducellier? (ID by colour of cap, brown is Bosch and Black is Ducellier but the Bosch cap can have a black cover over it so look inside the cap).

mpcahill
24-12-2007, 01:08 AM
the bubles are above the fuel filter , it has an orageie to brown coloured sort of cap .timing was done by the book , releasing cam belt tensioner , setting tdc ect .

Crasher
24-12-2007, 04:03 PM
The bubbles are nothing to worry about and the cap is Bosch. The timing you mean is the valve timing; I meant the ignition timing which should be set at 750 rpm (+/- 50 rpm) at 18 degrees BTDC with the vacuum connection from the servo pipe to the distributor vacuum advance left connected. It is a good idea to pull the connection off the servo pipe (make sure you don't snap it) and suck on the vac pipe to the vac advance to make sure the capsule isn't punctured which is common.