PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 (1997) Gunge on the oil filler cap

hpj
22-12-2007, 12:25 AM
I've found an awful lot of creamy coloured gunge under the oil filler cap. I've read about the possibility of the HG having gone, but temperature is fine, not losing coolant and there's nothing unusual coming out of the exhaust. Should I be looking at something different or is it definitely the HG.

SEMKY
22-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Do you do a lot of short journeys, ie when the engine never really warms up properly?
This gunge can sometimes be caused by that, especially in the winter months, and a few good long motorway runs can sort it out.....
Otherwise, HG is a possibility.:(

dod1e
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
What was the outcome of this?

I do mainly short journeys and have noticed a creamy gunge on the inside of the oil filler cap and half way up the dipstick?

Not using coolant, and oil itslef seems ok.

I have just recently purchased the car (2.0 tfsi) and it has been on long life serviceing. 4 weeks ago I got it serviced and was told about the gunge then. The guy said he flushed it and filled with fully synthetic. Now its gunged again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Dod

johnny2
15-03-2010, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=dod1e;489207]What was the outcome of this?

mate i have the same problem, its condesation as the previous person said, u dont drive it long and hard enough, long journeys will help on the mottorway but this will return once you revert to short journeys again!, just clean the gunge once a week or so and live with it mate:approve: