PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel cooler

Oldtobac
21-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I have had the misfortune to have a stone break off the pipe to the fuel cooler on my Transporter T5 with TDI engine. Can this still be used if bypassed? Is there any other cooler that may fit as a new unit is $285 Australian. This cooler is poorly located as it can easily be damaged.

Diamond Hell
21-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I've never heard of a fuel cooler. It may be that it is peculiar to the Australian market. Still, at least it's not the hottest time of year at the moment.... oh hang on.

I presume it's part no. 7H0203551B - which is listed as a heat dissipator. I'm not sure how much benefit you'll see from a diesel cooler - petrol I could understand.

Out of all the places that might actually see some benefit from it I think Australia must be one of the top ones - run it without for a bit - what's the worst that can happen (death in the outback, I guess......).

kenney
21-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi The fuel cooler is on all european t5s and as the name says it cools the fuel it has an important function and should not be bypassed

Diamond Hell
21-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Blimey, how do the rest of us manage without one...... :aargh4:

DutchAussie
07-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I have had the misfortune to have a stone break off the pipe to the fuel cooler on my Transporter T5 with TDI engine. Can this still be used if bypassed? Is there any other cooler that may fit as a new unit is $285 Australian. This cooler is poorly located as it can easily be damaged.

The fuel cooler on the 2007 VW Caddy is fitted under the body behind the driver's seat. I also find this a risky place for such an important item.
I presume the air flow is better in this position.
I have thought about bypassing the cooler as I want to warm up my fuel (Biodiesel). I connected the VAG-COM to check the fuel temperature after running the car for 15 minutes. It was a cold day and the fuel temperature settled down at about 88 C.
Great for Biodiesel but as the fuel tank is plastic I changed my mind about bypassing the fuel cooler.