PDA

View Full Version : Water ingress in Boot on Golf Mk 4

tobert
01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Having a problem with water getting into the boot of my golf. After it has been raining I open the boot and the left hand side is sodden and when i lift the wheel out there is normally around an inch of water underneith. it does look like it is dripping from the ceiling of the sides as they are dry and any wetness is on the left handside.

Has anyone heard of this before and have any suggestions on how to fix it? with the heavy rain at the moment its becoming a real problem.

its a 52 plate TDI 130 if that helps :)

Huweth
01-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you have a sunroof? I think there are some drains that empty out into the top of the hatch area. Check them. Boot seal? Window seals? Rear light seals?
Can't help any more than that. Let us know what you find...

adamss24
01-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi, check if the car has been rear shunted or if its had replacement tail lights(aftermarket taillights have cheaper grade ruber seals !), also check the boot ruber seal for tears/rips. Usually if the car was modded and owner wants a quick sale then he tryes to revert the car back to standard ASAP fiting staff in a hurry....if the car has been crashed look for asimetric gaps, different shades of paint/ overspray, etc.

westernplumber
24-10-2006, 11:16 PM
The Mk4 also suffers from a leaking rear washer water pipe which will pump water down the inside of the rear nearside pillar and through the first aid compartment and then into the spare wheel pan.

VW use pipe joints in the hose which can detach at various points. If your rear wash is weak or just a dribble, this is another possibility and is very common.

You have to remove the headlining to cure it.

zontal529
29-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi all

Always found this site excellent for probs & just to browse so hope i've posted this in the right place - if not can somebody put me right ?

Just been down to main dealer having found 2" of water in the drivers side footwell ( and in the rear behind the driver ) don't know about others' experience with Main Dealers but I have a good raport with mine - A tech ( they USED to call 'em grease monkeys / mechanics in my day - sorry guys - just shows my age !!) came out & was very helpful, in my case it looks like it was the sunroof drains ( they are a little rubber tube, flat at the end, located in the door jams hinge side ) giving them a squeeze to open the end produced copius quantities of water after emitting about an inch of sludge.
The rear ones are more difficult to get at ( the mud flaps &, apparently,the rear bumper have to come off ) but he said the first port of call would be to try an airline on them, if the above hasn't worked ( time & TIDE will tell !! )
I thought of parking the car facing uphill and dribbling coloured water into the sunroof channels & watch the back end to see if it dripped out the water quickly.

Hope this helps

Chris