PDA

View Full Version : Heater is getting hot after 30 miniutes!

Vitamin
20-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi
this is my first post, looking forward to hearing from you.
my Audi A4 '2000 TDi is doing ok except heater.

It cannot blow hot air even though heater is on HI.
It starts to blwoing hot air after 30-40 minutes when I already got to work with hat and scarf and gloves on.

any idea what I should look at?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

p.s to be honest I am just ordinary girl who hasn't got much knowledge about a car...:p

Crasher
20-12-2007, 05:37 PM
This is common on modern diesel engines as they are so efficient they produce little heat. There are glow plugs in the heating system that are supposed to boost the heat output and these could be faulty so they need to be checked that they are working and low heat output could also be down to a blocked cooling system or faulty water pump so for peace of mind have it checked over. When I take a customers TDI home at this time of year, it is rarely warm by the time I get to work in the morning, which can take 45 minuets in traffic.

AutoTDI
20-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Surely the glowplugs are just to assist cold starting? I didn't think they had any effect on cabin heating.

Crasher
20-12-2007, 09:35 PM
That is why I said
There are glow plugs in the heating system
On the back of the head there is an aluminium housing that contains three glow plugs that are very similar to those used in the engine. These are controlled by the engine ECU when required, to the boost the temperature of the water entering the heater matrix.

joe-9o
16-06-2009, 11:41 PM
HI, renew the thermostat , it will have stuck in the open postion- hope you find this helpfull.

Crasher
17-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Have you seen the date of his post? :D