PDA

View Full Version : MK3 Polo Dash Warning Lights

Golf-Fiend
20-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi. Let me first start by introducing myself. I'm "Golf-Fiend" also known as Nick to my family. I am a "brand loyal" VW nut. I have always had VWs. My fist car was an "N" reg Golf MK1 1.1 Always had Golfs (and one Jetta) from MK1,2,3 and my wife has always had Polos (apart from a dalliance with a Fiesta)

It is the Polo I am querying. The two warning lights are on (Oil and Water) and not flashing. We don't have the manual for the car and Haynes says nothing on this. Any ideas what the warning is for? And how it is reset after corrective maintenance?

Any input would be most welcome.

TIA

Nick.

Crasher
20-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Hello Nick and welcome, what year is the Polo and which engine?

Golf-Fiend
20-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Crasher,

Hi. Thanks for getting back so promptly. It is a Polo 1.3 "K" reg (92-93?)

Crasher
20-12-2007, 01:44 PM
A Polo 2 then. Has the engine been pressure washed recently?

Golf-Fiend
20-12-2007, 01:54 PM
No, no pressure washing. It does have a slight oil leak between the head and the block at the front LHS, above the alt. I thought it was the rocker cover gasket at first so I changed this. I did clean this away the oil with some trigger spray degreaser and a watering can and a small paint brush. Also around the head under the Distributor. I was not lavish with the water and WD-40'd the areas afterwards.

I think the warning lights occurred before this anyway.

Crasher
20-12-2007, 02:17 PM
First off all, disconnect both oil pressure switches on the back of the head and see if this extinguishes the light but it will probably be the brown switch that is the problem and also the source of the oil leak.

Golf-Fiend
20-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow and see what happens. If the lights go out I guess this will mean a simple replacement of the Brown Oil pressure switch? If not then what?

Crasher
20-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Well that would probably mean a dash fault as we haven’t covered the temp warning light yet. The brown oil pressure switch had been superseded to a blue one and the new part number is 028 919 081 H.

Golf-Fiend
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the long delay in any outcome - I had the most God-awful flu over Christmas and opening a car bonnet was the last thing I wanted to do. In fact I had a quick poke about yesterday (when it wasn't raining) and now the lights seem to both go out after a while of driving (over bumpy roads) but come on again if the ignition is switched off and the car restarted again. If it is not raining this weekend I shall have another go. It seems like one needs to remove the airfilter to get to the sensors.

Will report back.