PDA

View Full Version : Noisey gearbox?????

Nick142
20-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi I have a 99 Mk4 gti 1.8 T and a lot of noise coming from my gearbox area at most speeds when i put any pressure on the accelerator.

At first i thought it must be the cv joint, so i took my driveshaft off to inspect. outer joint was fine but wasn't so sure on the inner joint. managed to get hold of a good driveshaft for not to much money to try and eliminate the drive shaft from my problem solving.
Fitted the driveshaft last night, and the noise is still there. the driveshaft has some movement play when gears are engaged.

I'm pretty much 100% that this noise is coming from my gearbox. It's a kind of knocking rumbling noise and when my car wheelspins there is a crunch (seems to wheelspin quite a lot not sure if this is related)

Somebody please help me!!!

Nick142
20-12-2007, 12:33 PM
oh yeah, Hello everybody my name is Nick. Rude of me not to introduce myself. been looking at this forum for ages but have never had the need to post anything untill now. great forum!!!

Crasher
20-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I have seen this a few times now on the 02J 5 speed, they are losing the diff rivets just like some of the smaller engined 02K boxes and eventually it will blow a big hole in the box.

Nick142
20-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Oh dear. so you don't think its worn bearings? if The diff is loosing its rivets is the only solution a new gear box? or can i just get a new diff and repair any damage that may of been caused.

This isn't good. only wanted to get the car good enough to sell.

Crasher
20-12-2007, 03:59 PM
The box will have to be replaced with a good used unit or stripped down to assess and then repair the damage.

Nick142
21-12-2007, 05:48 PM
these people re-con gearboxs but instead of rivets in the diff they use stainless steel bolts. not sure if they are any good? maybe someone on here has used them before? quotes are not to bad either £425 +vat for a re-con. not to bad.
I myself can't afford this, but i thought i'd pass the info on incase anybody else is having problems with diff rivets.

go to http://www.volkswagenspares.com/page.php?page=Gearboxes

I might actually be putting my car into a garage for the first time ever... apart from when i brought tyres....

Crasher
21-12-2007, 05:57 PM
There is a special genuine VW bolt kit.

Nick142
21-12-2007, 06:00 PM
ah, bit cheeper as well i imagin.

Im so stuck, i've been thinking all day about what i'm going to do.

Not a clue

Crasher
22-12-2007, 06:56 PM
In that case a good used box would seem like the best idea. Don't skip putting in a new clutch/flywheel whilst it is out.