PDA

View Full Version : the vague steering ,continued

arctic blue
20-12-2007, 12:23 AM
since taking car to dealers with vague steering,( no fault found), a noise has developed at bottom of steering column.
ony happens on left hnd turn when steering wheel is turned.

diagosis; steering rack needs replacement.
maybe this will show a difference in steering. we'll wait and see.

passat 2.0l se 140 dsg. 4000miles up. new sept o7

:outtahere

Quatrelle
20-12-2007, 05:06 PM
since taking car to dealers with vague steering,( no fault found), a noise has developed at bottom of steering column.
ony happens on left hnd turn when steering wheel is turned.

diagosis; steering rack needs replacement.
maybe this will show a difference in steering. we'll wait and see.

passat 2.0l se 140 dsg. 4000miles up. new sept o7

:outtahereInteresting - I thought that was only a problem on the earlier models (i.e. till mid-06) :confused:

Santana
20-12-2007, 10:04 PM
As ever, I'd be very interested in your view after the rack has been changed.
Also, is it possible to describe the noise ? (Always difficult I know.)

arctic blue
21-12-2007, 09:23 AM
sounds like a whirring noise,like a bearin is noisy, but only on anticlockwise turn of steering wheel

Santana
21-12-2007, 12:04 PM
OK, thanks, I will see if I can hear anything similar on mine.

arctic blue
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
rack changed, noise gone. might be psycological but, steering seems stiffer at speed, motorways etc. thus i cant say i notice the drifting anymore. maybe this one is set up a bit different at the factory.

Bloater
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Not that I want to upset anyone, BUT:

My Sept 05 model did the same, and its still doing it to this day. I am on the third rack, despite the latest one being the modified one. I have given up with the dealer, see other posts, and am waiting for the steering to pack up completely, before I sue the dealer - They just aren't interested.

Also note that as the steering is completely electrical, it has to be set up. After one of my replacements I took it back, very firm steering at slow speed. After a test drive with a technician and comparison to another car, they agreed it was. A few days later, called back to garage, missive from Germany, use the software to adjust the steering responsiveness - Doh!.

I hope you have more luck than me.

Bloater

Quatrelle
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Your dealership sounds like a bunch of clowns, I can't believe they didn't know they could adjust the steering responsiveness.

Given that, can you be sure they actually changed the rack each time?

Santana
11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
steering seems stiffer at speed

Well, that seems like a good outcome. Maybe that's the solution then - change the steering rack. Mine isn't making any nasty noises (yet) so I don't think I can justifying asking for a replacement. It's still on a very low mileage - 5K - but its motorway-speed steering has been woolly from day one.

james_tiger_woo
17-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Not that I want to upset anyone, BUT:

My Sept 05 model did the same, and its still doing it to this day. I am on the third rack, despite the latest one being the modified one. I have given up with the dealer, see other posts, and am waiting for the steering to pack up completely, before I sue the dealer - They just aren't interested.

Also note that as the steering is completely electrical, it has to be set up. After one of my replacements I took it back, very firm steering at slow speed. After a test drive with a technician and comparison to another car, they agreed it was. A few days later, called back to garage, missive from Germany, use the software to adjust the steering responsiveness - Doh!.

I hope you have more luck than me.

Bloater

Have you tried a different dealer or writing to VW or even contacting trading standards?

Bloater
17-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Not tried a different dealer, all those within a reasonable distance are the same franchise, so probably no use trying them.

Written to VW already, threatened to reject the car not long after I got it due to the problems mentioned elsewhere. Unfortunately all I get back from them, 2 or 3 times now, is the standard we'll get the dealer to contact you. Even VW cust. care don't seem interested that I have a car with so many issues on it.

Hence my post on the Friday afternoon car. I've got 6 months to decide whether to stick with them or not. If they don't upgrade the spec in that time, then I'm seriously considering not getting another one.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I hope the OP has better luck than I with his modified rack.

Bloater