PDA

View Full Version : Golf TDi 1995 Glow Plug Light Buzz

adeyb21
19-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Hope someone has a handle on this one ?? !!
Wife started the car the other morning and just a click then smoke from the bonnet (as to how much smoke smell etc. details a little sketchy).
Battery was pretty dead so pulled it off and gave a charge. When I tried to start car just the click no start. checked to see if any areas burnt around Alternator/ Starter Motor Battery. (Alternator had fibrous stuff popping out that smelled a little burnt but hard to say).
Anyway tonight hooked up jump leads (cleaned the earth points from battery to body which were corroded) and got car started. Went for a drive (bout 9 miles) with not too much going only lights. Noticed the battery light on dash really faintly lighting up on low revs so guess it could be alternator failing/failed).
When I got home I tried starting again nothing. Then I noticed a slight buzzing when the glowplug light comes on and about 2 secs after the light goes out buzzing stops. Car then starts ok. Anybody any ideas? Can an alternator affect the starting of the car ? I thought that it only kicked in to keep battery charged when car running. Sorry the posts so long !!

adeyb21
20-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Just an update for info...(if anybody's interested !) turned out to be a loose wire to the solenoid. The 13mm nut was loose. Tightened up and starts as it should now. Phew ! Guess this serves as a reminder to start with the basics.

Crasher
20-12-2007, 09:53 PM
That is a common problem, I am sorry I missed your original post.