PDA

View Full Version : 2000 A6 ABS Brakes Warning Light Problem

jcricketson
01-10-2006, 12:52 AM
My first post:

I recently acquired my first Audi - 2000 A6 2.7T. Love it BUT ABS/Brakes alarm and flashing warning light keeps coming on. Had it checked by reliable independent who said fault code indicates that it's an electrical short somewhere - said brakes and ABS system are OK. The alarm and flashing lights are really annoying and usually start after driving a few miles. Sometimes it stays off for 30+ miles. Sometimes it stops while I'm driving. Sometimes it's on when I start. Sometimes shutting off and restarting clears it - for a little while.

Any suggestions? One other seemingly unrelated electrical problem - the center digital dash display only lights up every other "line".

Any help is much appreciated!!

Jon

John McCavert
12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi, I have a 1999 A6 2.5TDI SE Avant Auto and had exactly the same problem with the ABS. Additionally, the ASR (auto traction control) light was coming on intermittently. My local Audi agent tested it and said it was the ABS control unit: they quoted me £640 for the control unit itself and nearly £1100 if I wanted them to replace the pump as well. I went in on Google and did a search on Audi ABS problems and found a company called BBA-Reman on Ebay (over 400 positive feedbacks) who were offering an own unit rebuild for a bit over £200 + postage of £17 (including collection and delivery). I bought the 'item': they even gave detailed instructions on how to remove the control unit. They collected it on the Tuesday and I had it back on the Thursday. I refitted it and have driven 700 miles without any repeat of the ABS or ASR problems. They also give a two year warranty on the repair. I hope this helps

jcricketson
13-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Thanks much for your reply. I have sent my ABS Control Unit to ModuleMasters in Moscow Idaho. They rebuild them for $250 so I hope I have similar success as you have had. We'll see . . .