PDA

View Full Version : A4 heater isnt hot!

shane123321
19-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi im new to the group and im needing some help!
a couple of days ago i was jump starting my friends car and when i drove off the heater was on HI yet the car was freezing. its been like this ever since and it wont blow hot air!
have i blown something somewhere like a fuse or a resistor?
all help would be appreciated.
cheers in advance.

Crasher
19-12-2007, 06:44 PM
You have upset the climate control by giving it a voltage spike. Get it to some one with a fault code reader and see what codes are stored. Every year we get people who have hurt their car by jump starting it or someone else’s car, I won’t put jump leads any where near a modern car. You should disconnect and recharge the battery although some of these new portable battery packs are well designed and don’t spike the car. Once, many years ago, I had two customers cars towed in as one had suffered a flat battery and his mate jump started the car from his and they ended up with two cars with blown ECU’s.

philla4tdi
03-01-2008, 06:36 PM
thats very interesting, did not know that... how modern is modern? got a 96 a4... i always carry jump leads just in case, but now might leave them at home!

:beerchug:

You have upset the climate control by giving it a voltage spike. Get it to some one with a fault code reader and see what codes are stored. Every year we get people who have hurt their car by jump starting it or someone else’s car, I won’t put jump leads any where near a modern car. You should disconnect and recharge the battery although some of these new portable battery packs are well designed and don’t spike the car. Once, many years ago, I had two customers cars towed in as one had suffered a flat battery and his mate jump started the car from his and they ended up with two cars with blown ECU’s.

Crasher
03-01-2008, 06:41 PM
ANYTHING with an ECU. If yours is flat, disconnect the battery and charge it (mind you, disconnecting the battery causes long term adaptation learnt values to be lost, another subject though) and charge the battery up. If someone you know has a flat battery, apologise or take a large deposit. These new battery packs, I have a Halfords 100 at home, are perfectly OK, they put the power in smoothly and don't cause spikes. I may be being over cautious about this but I deal with probably one flat battery every day (two today) and the last thing I need is any toasted ECU’s.