PDA

View Full Version : Please help , look at these symptoms.

nutter1980
19-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Audi 2001 TDI 1.9 130 72000 miles.

When car gets to temperature 90c even when in motion gauge will drop back to lowest point and back up again at random.

When the guage starts to drop and rise again between 1400 -1600 rpm on steady throttle my engine judders, rev counter jumps up and down as if the engine is decreasing and increasing the revs by small amounts, say 100 rpm.

Has anyone seen this before? or can anyone offer any help.

AutoTDI
19-12-2007, 03:06 PM
As the coolant temp cannot change that quickly, the problem must be electrical. It could be that your temp sensor is faulty and sending noisy data to the ECU, which will then impact on fuel injection, etc. Check the wiring/connectors - have you recently disturbed anything under the bonnet?

nutter1980
20-12-2007, 03:31 PM
I have had the car around 4 weeks. Only ever been under the bonnet twice to look. I have not disturbed anything.

I have the car booked in on the 2nd of jan (non audi mech) However its already been in and came back with no fault after they ran a scan on the ECU.

Its such a minor but anoying fault, I love the car, If it cant be fixed I gonna play hell with the dealer , He can have it back.

I am thinking of maybe paying audi to diagnose this one, Anyone aware of how much this would cost?

AutoTDI
20-12-2007, 05:56 PM
If you bought the car only 4 weeks ago from a dealer then shouldn't he be your first port of call? What kind of warranty did you get? In any case, the goods sold must be "fit for purpose". At 72k miles the car is barely run-in and shouldn't exhibit this behaviour. What service history did the car come with?

paul b
20-12-2007, 11:36 PM
It does indeed sound like the temperature sensor, if the mechanic suggests anything otherwise then you should be sceptical. The temerature sensors are quite prone to failing, to be honest. They can cause all sorts of daft symptoms!
Merry Xmas
Paul

Crasher
21-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Classic coolant temp sender failure.

nutter1980
21-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello again people, The car does have a 3 month warrenty, I have the car booked in a the dealers mechanics on the 2nd of Jan. The car is still under warrenty so its not a problem, I wanted to get some information off you guys so i could go armed if u know what I mean.

Can anyone explain to me why the temp sensor would cause a judder.

nutter1980
21-12-2007, 01:11 PM
In addition, while the car is under the ramp is there anything else I should change for good measure, Eg fuel filters, air filters? The cars got full audi service history, not sure if they would have done this on a car this age?

Crasher
21-12-2007, 01:54 PM
If it has an FSH they should have been done. What is the cam belt history?

nutter1980
21-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Cam belt and tensioner was done at 62000, clock has just done 72k, I have contacted the local audi mechanic and confirmed this with there database.

And another thing, This morning on the way to work the traction control light came on wouldnt go off until I turned off the engine.

Is this normal ?

Crasher
21-12-2007, 02:38 PM
You may have a faulty brake light switch (this does not normally affect the brake lights) so you need to have a fault code read done.

nutter1980
21-12-2007, 03:21 PM
This car and it technology and sesnors are starting to baffle/amaze me, I will blame it on the cold weather, the car was totaly frozen, its was reporting that the boot was open yesterday " again frozen shut" a quick open and close sorted this.

nutter1980
30-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Update, Fault seems to be fixed.

I took the motor to Audi , they ran a fault scan which detected a faulty temperature sender/sensor - somthing to do with a dash sensor. This has been replaced , the temp gauge seems to be sweet.

As for the judder problem audi found that who ever had serviced the car previously had installed a new fuel filter and used non audi clips and used a standard jubilie clip, this clip had been over tightend and has caused a rip in the fuel line, the engineer recons that this was the cause of the judder as the tear was leaking diesel.

So far so good, no judders and no temperature issues.

A big thanks for all your help.

Crasher
30-12-2007, 02:00 AM
I should have stuck with my first guess!