PDA

View Full Version : my tdi auto wont start when cold

obi
18-12-2007, 11:47 PM
i have a tdi130 sport with a tiptronic box in and if the temperature gets anywhere near freezing it wont even turn over,so i have to play about with the key in the start position and it usually does start eventually, the colder it is the worse it is. thought it might have bin something to do with the inhibitor on the gearbox but dont know. i have recently had the oil in the box changed but no joy.would be grateful for any advice

RickT
19-12-2007, 12:58 AM
i would look at getting the glow plug (s) changed first of all.

Rick

TheMadhatter
19-12-2007, 01:10 PM
When you say it wont turn over ? do you mean the starter does not turn the engine over or does it just, chug? Could be the battery.

Battery performance will drop off the colder it gets so if its a bit iffy the cold weather could show it up.

If the engine turns but does not start, or chugs like a tractor for a bit before starting then like RickT says could be the glow plugs or your injectors could be dirty.

obi
19-12-2007, 07:22 PM
it wont even turn over you have to move the key around between the auxillary position and the start position as thuogh its a bad connection between the ignition and the starter

GTW
20-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd get the battery tested first, then check the earth lead. By-passing the earth lead with a jump lead on mine revealed a duff earth lead, which resulted in the starter motor not getting enough amperage.

Are the battery terminals secure and free of oxidisation/verdegris?

Does your glow plug light come on and go off after a few seconds in your instrument cluster?

Gaz

Crasher
20-12-2007, 01:25 PM
If you have to manipulate the key to get it to turn over, that is a faulty ignition switch.

Eddie
20-12-2007, 11:57 PM
To rule out a bad earth short the terminals of the starter with a screwdriver if it turns over the earth is fine which points to the inhibitor switch on the gearbox or the ignition switch ive only worked on older automatics but these ones had inhibitor switch alignment marks (just wondering if ur mech has knocked the switch out of alignment when changing the oil easily done) there is also a relay in the inhibitor circuitry so to eliminate the inhibitor switch its up on axle stands and getting underneath with a test lamp,with the car in P or N ignition switched on check for two lives one is the feed into the switch the other is the feed out to the relay if u find two live feeds the inhibitor is ok the same goes for the relay to rule out the ignition switch simply ''hot wire'' the car

obi
23-12-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks for that looks like i'll be busy over the christmas will let you know the outcome

Stevebt
19-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi

How did you get on? I have a 2000 TDi (ATJ) Auto/Tiptronic with the same problem whenever it gets cold say, below 4 degrees, the battery seems as flat as the proverbial pancake, it tries to turnover but then just clicks. I have noticed that if the glow plug light takes more than a couple of seconds to go out, then I have to get my booster pack out, Is or was yours the same?

obi
22-02-2008, 08:40 PM
i haven't quite sorted mine yet can't decide if it is the switch or the earth connection but i think they are different to your symptoms as mine will start using the battery but i need to play about with the key. yours seems to be either a dead cell in the battery or an earthing problem if it starts with an external power pack, as there is more of a load on the battery when the temperature drops, i would get the battery checked at a garage or kwik fit style of tyre/battery centre they will tell you if it is ok, i hope this helps you out if not let me know