PDA

View Full Version : Scratched front bumper

JontraK
18-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi all,

I;ve managed to scratch my front bumber few times on the entrance of my drive (pic attached). I was wondering if there is an easy way of fixing this or do I need to replace the bumper. Further to this, I was wondering if its possible to replace the mouldings on the bumpers and the doors with colour coded ones or even chromed ones?

Appreaciate any help.

Rob

PeoplesMan
18-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Complete novice and in no way experienced with crash repairs but....

I used to scrape my Civic off pretty much everything years back when I was learning to drive and marked her like you've marked your wagon.

I used some Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound and worked at it for a good while and then finished her off with a good wash, blow dry and a coat or two of wax... It worked for me and that was a silver car.

In rwlation to chroming the vynl, if you find a way, will you PM me it as I would love nothing more !

There is a place down the road who offered to take all the mouldings off and paint them the same colour as the car some time back but they couldnt do the chrome job for me... :(

Best of luck !

JontraK
18-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Cheers mate,

I've already tried washing and waxing but without much luck. The corner was grazed on a brick wall so it will prob. need some light cosmetic work I guess... WRT the chrome mouldings, I just managed to locate some on the euro car parts website. I did a search as below:

Manufacturer:Volkswagen
Year:2002
Model:Passat Estate 1.9 TDi AWX AVF : 96kw (4cyl)
Search:FRONT BUMPER

There seems to be plenty of mouldings, coloured (primed) and chromed as well.
I will be looking into this after Xmass...

Anyone else has any suggestions about my scratches?

RickT
19-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi,

That can be fixed with very little work from a painter..

I would expect it to cost around £150 to repair, (its not a case of just repairing the affected spot, a respary of the full area on the bumper will have to be carried out to ensure a match..

Go around a few body shops and get a few quotes.

Rick

JontraK
19-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi,

That can be fixed with very little work from a painter..

I would expect it to cost around £150 to repair, (its not a case of just repairing the affected spot, a respary of the full area on the bumper will have to be carried out to ensure a match....

Rick

Cheers Rick,

£150 sounds a bit steep for a scratch like that but then, I should've been more carefull with the blimming wall :D ...

Thanks for the suggestions mate... wil go round some body shops after Xmass.

Rob

BLASTER
20-12-2007, 04:34 PM
I've used chipsaway http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/ they did a really good job for me on a not too dissimilar mark, £35.00 give em a bell, good luck..;)

bricam1
20-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Had a similar scratch on my bumper. It cost me £100 (cash in hand). Although he fixed a couple of scratches on my bonnet as well.

snapdragon
20-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I think I was quoted £130 for something similar, said he would have to paint the whole bumper, when I picked it up, it looked amazing, and the owner said he just did that area and blended it in. He only charged £100 cash.

Eddie
20-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Go get some paint mixed to match the bumper, using a toothpick build up the paint in the scratch marks to be slightly proud of the surrounding paintwork if the plastic around the damage is rough smooth this of with 1000 wet or dry paper soaked in a mixture of fairy liquid and warm water before painting leave for about 1 week to harden.Go to motor factors and buy tub of G3 rubbing compound a electric buffer is preferred but a damp rag works just as well the object of the exercise is to cut the paint back to the height of the original paintwork which is why we built it up in the first place using the buffer it is easy to go to far so stop quite often and clean of to see how ur going,make sure u use the buffer wet or u may burn the paintwork if ur using the rag dedicate at least 90 min elbow grease time.
Ed

JontraK
21-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Cheers Ediie,

Might give this a go during Xmas if I find spare time...

Rob